Automatic Choke

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Automatic Choke

Post by Junkers »

Hey

When I started my car last night in the cold, it started and idled at 200rpm until it got warm and went back to normal idle speed, what could cause this?

If it could be the temp sensor, where do I find it and how do I check it?
galagaza
Dorifto!

Re: Automatic Choke

Post by galagaza »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:Hey

When I started my car last night in the cold, it started and idled at 200rpm until it got warm and went back to normal idle speed, what could cause this?

If it could be the temp sensor, where do I find it and how do I check it?
2000rpm you mean?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

No, My autochoke isn't working fullstop.. or at least I think it's my auto choke, I started the car in a temperature of around 7 degree's, dunno whether 200 rpm without a choke would be expected or not?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I remember jase used to have problems with the stepper motor on that car... have a good look at the wiring around that side of the manifold.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

On a Cordia this would mean that either your idle stepper motor isn't working any more or that your T.P.S. is way out. It's been a while since I looked at a Starion but I remember them having the same throttle systems.

Get a mate to turn the key from OFF to ON while your looking at the idle stepper motor. It should extend a little and then back off a bit after about 15 seconds. If it dosen't move at all then it isn't working, which means you'll need to get out your multimeter and see if its getting a signal. If it is then you just need to replace the stepper motor assembly, if it isn't then you have a wiring/ecu problem.

You could also try jiggiling the plug a bit as they tend to have dodgy electrical connections after 20+ years. I have the same problem with my Eterna, I just have to jiggle the plug until it gets a good connection and then it will idle properly, I really should get around to replacing that plug....
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Where's my stepper motor and what does it look like, I've never heard of these before.
AB

Post by AB »

This is the idle stepper motor or idle speed controller. This picture was taken from my old Cordia so yours will look a little different. The arm that extends down to the bottom right is what pushes down on the throttle plate. The point where that arm touches the throttle plate is the idle position switch.

http://ab.cordiapower.com/steppermotor.jpg

androoz
Enthusiast

Post by androoz »

that almost looks exactly the same as the one i have on my JB.. but i was getting a signal and everything, but the dam motor wasnt getting a signal to return to normal idle when the car has warmed up, so i unplugged it and hard wired it (the stepper motor) up to a 2 way switch inside the cabin where i can flick it up or down to idle up or down depending on how warm the car is.. works wonders in the morning.. can even use it as cruise control :D
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

What is puzzling, my 'auto-choke' doesn't work either. I figure its wiring or a faulty solenoid.

But anyway, my car idles at 700 rpm no matter what, cold or hot, air con on or not. BUT its never gone down to 200rpm. So this has never been an issue, just takes a tad longer to warm up.

So what puzzles me, is if I have no idle up, and I idle at 700rpm, why is his car idling at 200 without the 'auto-choke'.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I'd like to know that too, car seems to go alright when it's warm :S. maybe i could get around it with a manual choke? I have type B injection if that helps.
Also my battery has died within a week after the alternator has been changed . this car is driving me nuts :glare:
AB

Post by AB »

Have either of you two checked to make sure your Idle speed controller is actually working?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Would that be the issue for me as my car runs fine when it's warm :?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

AB wrote:Have either of you two checked to make sure your Idle speed controller is actually working?
I just assumed it was broken. Doesn't bother me, so its not high on my list of things to investigate. The cars' rpm never raises over 700rpm at idle, and never goes lower. His is dropping to 200rpm tho :shock:

One idea I had, and forgive me for my lack of details, but the car runs a slightly richer mix when cold, perhaps the sensor for this function isnt working properly and is over-fueling? combined with a faulty stepper motor/solenoid, perhaps that could lead to 200rpm??

Just an idea anyway :)
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
AB

Post by AB »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:Would that be the issue for me as my car runs fine when it's warm :?
Yes, the idle speed controller opens the throttle a bit to raise the idle when the engine is cold. Once the engine has warmed up it idles normally and dosen't need the throttle opened by the ISC.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

is that the black motor that sticks outside the TB?