the 3 vac lines off the throttlebody

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
DonnVito
I like starions more

the 3 vac lines off the throttlebody

Post by DonnVito »

hi guys, just got my first starion. i was just curious, my bov vac line is plumbed into the line that goes to the first nozzle out of three coming from the throttlebody. its on a t joint and the other end off the t joint is not connected to anything i have no bov noise, i cant see where the line has come off. its very short. im wondering was it even connected to anything else at all. heh
appreciate any help you can give me, i.e plug up the hole. where it should be plugged into. etc etc thank you

heres a shitty little diagram for you to study

*side closest to cabin*
Tconnected
T
Tconnected
T
Tbov connected off t joint, other end of hose lead to nothing i.e leaks
* side closest to radiator*
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

If I remember correctly this goes too a solenoid valve (a UFO shaped metal thing) placed there.....
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

BOV will not work if there is a vacume leak, that connection either needs to be pluged into something or eliminated (put a PK screw in it if you cant be bothered taking hoses off)
1983 JA Staz
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

If you have an air leak the car will run bad anyway. Block it off and see if it makes a difference. You need a fairly good vacuum for a bov, there is a line to the right of the throttle body on the inlet manifold. This runs to the box on the firewall. Tee into that one at the manifold and you should be right.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

****WELCOME TO AUSTARION!****
1983 JA Staz
DonnVito
I like starions more

Post by DonnVito »

thanks guys, i'll do that in the morning and see how it goes. thanks for a quick response. its weird however, i get flutter but no bov. i checked the bov to see if it was stuck. must have something to do with those lines.
will post when i get it sorted.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

The T that isn't connected connects to your vaccum advance unit off your distrubutor (the round bronze thing thats beneath/beside your distrubutor, should have a small pipe coming out of it).
I don't think that is an adaquete source for a BOV to work as it only runs vac wheres as a bov needs vac AND boost through the single line.

Rather than the line that goes to the vac advance try using the one closest to the cabin for your bov, as Al said. This runs to your MAP sensor which runs both vac and boost.

Let us know how you go.
Rassy
I like starions

this might help

Post by Rassy »

Ok this is how your BOV should work. In your intercoolier pipe (cross over pipe) when the intercoolier pipe has vacume in it (out of boost), the vacume suck's the pistion that is in your BOV down an closed off. So air comes in or out. Now when under boost you have positive presure in your intercoolier pipe witch can try an push that piston out (open) unless there is the same amount of presure on the other side of the piston, that's where the vacume line come's to balance that out whille under boost.

The only way that BOV's work is if the vacume line is taken from under the throtle body (the buter fly), an that's is because when your foot is off the gas an the buter fly is closed it creates vacume in the manifold whille there is positive presure in the intercoolier pipe. then ya have wapiiiiisssssssaaaaaaaaa.
________
Marijuana strain strawberry cough
Last edited by Rassy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonnVito
I like starions more

Post by DonnVito »

ok guys we have achieved bov. thanks for your help. im not sure how hard or soft i should set it, ive got it at a setting at the moment that it only goes off when im really going hard, i.e over 4000rpm before gear change. anything under that on boost and i get a sweet flutter
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Turn it to the left to make it soft and turn it to the right to make it short and loud.