How heavy is a Starion........

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

Chryzla wrote:more weight forward isnt a bad thing tho. helps with steering.

Helps with UNDERsteering.................................
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

better then the front end sliding when you turn the wheel! Like most of my cars have done, only the corolla didnt. all mitsus i have had slide at the front
1983 JA Staz
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

To a certain extent, but you always want to minimize weight on the outside of the axles (front and rear). At least that's my understanding.. Of course there are exceptions (such as a porsche), but they overcome that prolblem with all fancy/schmancy engineering and flat engines etc... all of which the starion doesn't have
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Chryzla wrote:better then the front end sliding when you turn the wheel! Like most of my cars have done, only the corolla didnt. all mitsus i have had slide at the front
That probably depends on your driving style as much as the car.. Set the staz up properly into a corner (with a touch of trail braking, for instance), and you wont be getting much understeer (in most cases)

What did the corolla do, and what model? I've driven a few different corolla's, fwd and rwd, and all of them were very prone to understeer, even my rwd wagon (though to a lesser extent)
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

most cars understeer.

the corolla swung around, was a KE70, I never drove the AE71 as i lost interest in the engine conversion and sold it 2 weeks ago.
1983 JA Staz
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Chryzla wrote:most cars understeer.
Agreed, manufacturers make em like that to try and make em safer
the point i was trying to make is that even if you are driving the most over-steery car in the world, if you say slam on the brakes before a corner, then quickly release the brakes and straightaway after that try to turn in, you will understeer, as there'd be no weight on the front wheels.

Or was that my point? I can't remember anymore... Doesn't matter, we're off topic anwyway..

I think we were talking about more weight forward of the front wheels on the 2.6 compared to the 2L... anyone know the extent of the difference there?
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

Tons of factors count here, wheel alignments, tire size, limited slip differential, suspensions stiffness, height and anti roll bar sizes and so on.

The wheight is optimal with a lowest possible point and with the wheigt as close too the middle as possible.

putting moore wheight up front will create a "audi effect", giving less grip and couse understeer.. Back too physics, its like unscrewing a bolt with a wrench, power X arm, the centrifuge forces get a "longer arm" and will easier push the car off its track.

Sorry for my limited english skills :)
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

Weight centural or just back off the front wheels helps with grip as there is more weight put onto the tires. BUT you get understeer, oversteer isnt exactly easy to accomplish, i prefer a car that can oversteer then understeer. Understeer is not safe.
1983 JA Staz
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

Chryzla wrote:Weight centural or just back off the front wheels helps with grip as there is more weight put onto the tires. BUT you get understeer, oversteer isnt exactly easy to accomplish, i prefer a car that can oversteer then understeer. Understeer is not safe.

Dosent matter where the wheight is, it all goes down through the wheels, getting the wheight central and 50-50 is the best.

An oversteering car is not a good thing, believe you me. a slight understeering car is the best, if you still get that oversteer effekt when you drop the gas pedal just before the turn you got a good setup.. an oversteering car will be very hard too drive.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

my starion with stock suspension will only oversteer, if you pull the wheel too far on a corner, brake to hard and steer to far on a corner or put the power on when coming out of a tight corner the back end will always step out, happened with the shitty tyres and the semi slicks.
galagaza
Dorifto!

Post by galagaza »

quote"CussCuss",

my starion with stock suspension will only oversteer,

if you pull the wheel too far on a corner-- That should not happen!
brake to hard and steer to far on a corner-- Less wheight on rear wheels couse this
or put the power on when coming out of a tight corner--- Its called RWD;)

the back end will always step out, happened with the shitty tyres and the semi slicks.

You should check your rear shock absorbers, front springs and anti roll bar.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

galagaza wrote:

Helps with UNDERsteering.................................
That's exactly right! Chryzla you need to read some books on suspension :D
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

My old Stazza handled just like Mitsi said it would.

You start to feel the understeer, then you lightly apply a little fuel, and she flings around. Perfect. Its why I love them, that feeling in the turns, nothing beats it (well for under $2000 anyway)
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

Id read some books, if i could find any... im fine to be proven wrong... Im not gonna have a cry like most people.
1983 JA Staz
AXELR8
I love starions

Post by AXELR8 »

Time to hook up a g-tech and do some lateral G measurements. :wink:
You think that's fast??? You got nothin' on Roger!!