Extractors

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

What are your definitions of each one then?
Personally I just think it's like saying transmission/gearbox, turbo/turbine, 3inch/76mm, tomato/tomatoe, They are all pretty much the same thing, just different names and slight variations that arn't that important because you can still get the message across about what your talking about.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

AB.... chances are by saying stupid crap like that you do not know the difference between them
1983 JA Staz
AB
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by AB »

Well then educate me about them will you?

What is the difference, in your opinion, between a manifold, extractor, and header?
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

From what I've gathered by peoples terminanology, manifold is stock, extractors/headers are custom.. longer lengths of pipe with 4-2-1 splits etc
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

alright.

Manifold: like a hollow tube ran along paralell (or almost paralell to the cylinder head with it cast for the exhaust ports, this causes turbulance and cylinder ones exhaust exhaust path is far longer then the path of cylinder 4 so it takes longer to escape and causes turbulance, etc. This is why cars like old comodores, and V8's benefit from the removeal of theses and with extractors noticeable performance is gained.

Headers: Mostly stock on 4 cyl engines, they are better then manifolds in the fact all the pipes meet to a more centural location, this means the exahust flows more free because the gases from cylinder 1 do not have to pass other gasses and turbulance from the other cylinders along the chain. they are a 4 to 1 or 4 to 2 setup depending how it was cast.

Extractors (not tuned length): These are pretty much extractors that have been made to make the exhaust more free flowing, however noyt being tuned length the exhaust gases travel different distances to go out the exhaust, resulting in turbulance created in the pipework.

Extractors (Tuned Length): Best exhaust assembly on the market, no flow issues, all pipes are same length, straight flowing and no exhaust fumes mix together to cause those issues stated above.

Turbo MANIFOLD (simular design to headers on N/A cars): These cause heaps of backpressure, and dont let the exhaust flow nearly free enough, it causes emmense backpressure (till the pressure is so great it pushes the turbine around so it can escape (read: turbo 101)

Turbo EXTRACTORS: These are pretty much all tuned length (i wouldnt bother without tuned length ones as there is really no point, this is to give the exhaust further to go, so its sped up, causing less friction/backpresure, quicker boost, ultimately a more smoother ride.
1983 JA Staz
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

Now just to clarify 4 to 1 is different to 4-2-1

4 to 1 means all 4 exhaust holes go to one hole then to the exhaust

4 to 2 means 2 exhaust holes go into 1 and the other 2 go into the other 1.

4-2-1 are extractors, 4 pipes, into 2 pipes, into 1 pipe.

(just incase someone got confused)
1983 JA Staz
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Ahhh it all makes sense now! :)

I used to mix the terms up all the time.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)