Why do we love Starions?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

Yes they may be agricultural and seem to fend off technology with every step and guzzle fuel like it is water and belch l;arge volumes of carbon monoxide and be made of iron (until recently) but I cant help but smile when someone nails it in a v8 with a good sounding exhaust.

You try it next time, I bet you will smile

It is a sound that can not be beaten. closely followed by a Ralliart Group A Evo 3 with anopen exhaust.
It wasnt me, nobody saw me do it, you cant proove a thing
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

you really should appreciate all kinds of engines no matter how they make the power.

And pretty much every notion of what the old v8's were have gone out the window.
Take a look at the new LS7 coming up in the c6 z06. All aluminium, forged everything, 505hp revs to 7000rpm and coming in at 427ci. Put into a car that weighs just over 1400kgs and you have one fast mother fawker (hint it will smash almost every porshe exept the GT)

Just because holden puts v8's into 1800kg cars doesnt mean they dont handle.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

speaking of V8s any one watched speedweek on sbs?
any one see the white V8, rear wheel drive magna appearently the only one in oz?
I'm Back
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Yeah the Magna is a Future Tourer, that class died a few years ago.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

There are numerous RWD magnas in Australia.

some were converted. some were prototypes. most of them are driven on the road and you would never no the difference as they are no different asthetically.
1983 JA Staz
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

not all v8's are bogan thrash cars, for example:

Ferrari F40
Ac Cobra
GT 40
Lotus Espirit
Alpina Roadster
Marcos TSO-GT
and the Mustang just to name a few
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

Yes and with the exception of the GT40 and Mustang they are all euro cars (read: technology). Especially the Lotus with the small cube v8.

I'm talking about people who buy a brand new commodore/falcon, sell the rims and put big chromies on it, with a big exhaust.

Dont get me wrong, they do have good use (low down torque) and usually bit more robust than our turbo technology (when gordon the farmer forgets to change the oil, does it at 15000km intervals), but they dont have a place in our cars.

> Just because holden puts v8's into 1800kg cars doesnt mean they dont handle.

I think you have missed something here... (the part about the weight)

> but I cant help but smile when someone nails it in a v8 with a good sounding exhaust.

While doing a one legger with 4 other little shits in the car?

--

Even worse is the mentality of these drivers. Ever rocked up at a set of lights next to a P plater in a WRX? These guys are even worse.

Anyway each to their own, i've seen too many commodores flogged by tourers and other technogically advanced cars to change my mind.
gordonspec® racing
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

logik wrote: I'm talking about people who buy a brand new commodore/falcon, sell the rims and put big chromies on it, with a big exhaust.
I agree with that. I'm not a fan of people who are out to cause trouble in there 'big' cars either let alone the whole predijuce ford/holden thing, people actually get into fights about it which is disgusting.

I personally am a fan of the X series Fords and the H series Holdens especially with 8's under the bonnet, I like the sound and the feel of them, I'm not a foot flat fuckhead though.
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

i agree.... you should respect all types of engines... but nothing beats a v8... sorry to say... i have yet to see a 4cyl or 6 cyl do a 4.3sec pass... at well into 330mph...

an nothing can compare to that sweet.. gorgeous sound that comes out from them... look i own both... i love the starion... its excellent on fuel... an is fairly quick for a street car... but try whacking a turbo or supercharger on a v8 an the amount of power is ridiculous... people also think that v8s do not rev... take a chrysler 340 for instance... factory can rev to 7500... saftley!... but u can take them past that... my cousins 350, has been built for 9000rpm..... hahahaha my dead stock 318... still with 2brrl carby... have taken it to 6... but changes 5500... my other cousin has built a engine for proffesional drag racing... little 292 v8... n/a tunnel ram... built to exceed 10000rpm an makes 800hp...

got to wait til i finish off building my v8.. will let u know the hp i make.. an at what revs it starts to die off...

but please dont get me wrong... after owning a turbo.. i have grown respect for the little 4 bangers... they are good if u wana go fast... an also save on petrol...hehehe
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

CussCuss wrote:you really should appreciate all kinds of engines no matter how they make the power.

And pretty much every notion of what the old v8's were have gone out the window.
Take a look at the new LS7 coming up in the c6 z06. All aluminium, forged everything, 505hp revs to 7000rpm and coming in at 427ci. Put into a car that weighs just over 1400kgs and you have one fast mother fawker (hint it will smash almost every porshe exept the GT)

Yes but they just increased the capacity for the LS7. Wow they are really clever those yanks :P
We don't make the engine better we just increase the capacity and we got to have those push rods man :wink:

What about the BMW 1500cc F1 turbo 4cyl 1100HP+ and the V6 turbo Honda, TAG V6 I saw those cars race and absolutely awesome to watch in qualifying at Adelaide all those years ago :beer
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

A v8 vibrates - chicks like that when passengering :wink:
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

damn mrb1.. 1500cc makin 1100+.... now that would be something to see...
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

honda did the same thing with a 1500cc v12 in the 80s

1500cc engine + 4bar boost (60psi!) = >1000hp
gordonspec® racing
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

mrb1 wrote:
CussCuss wrote:you really should appreciate all kinds of engines no matter how they make the power.

Yes but they just increased the capacity for the LS7. Wow they are really clever those yanks :P
We don't make the engine better we just increase the capacity and we got to have those push rods man :wink:

What about the BMW 1500cc F1 turbo 4cyl 1100HP+ and the V6 turbo Honda, TAG V6 I saw those cars race and absolutely awesome to watch in qualifying at Adelaide all those years ago :beer
wow you just compared a 2006 production engine to a 1980s race engine that had to last a couple of laps.

and NO they didnt 'just increase the capacity' almost everything in it is changed.

this is the shorter version
That same 427 is slated to continue in the C6R, but thanks to the much closer relationship between road and race trim demanded by new FIA/ACO/ALMS rules, the roadgoing Z06 will get its own 427 (Mat-motor? Rouse-motor?) for 2006. The numbers are nothing short of staggering: a full 500 horses at 6200 rpm, 475 lbs-ft @ 4800, a sub-four 0-60 dash, and quarter-mile sprints in under 12 seconds—a set of bogus plates and a false identity card would be nice additions to the glovebox. Despite being essentially a re-thought race motor, this new Z06 mill (called LS7 by GM) also promises remarkable tractability, thanks to receiving the same level of engine-management attention given its junior cousins.

While its exterior dimensions and general layout are shared with the LS2, the new LS7 is based on a separate block casting and assembled by hand at GM's new Performance Build Center in Wixom MI. The punched-out aluminum block carries lightweight titanium conrods attached to aluminum flat-top pistons giving 11.0:1 compression. Six-bolt, CNC-machined, forged-steel main caps are needed to keep the assembly together.

CNC machining is also utilized on the new aluminum heads, which boast an 18% improvement in airflow over LS2 units. Nearly straight tunnel-like intake runners feed the air/fuel charge through huge 2.2-inch titanium intake valves while 1.62-inch, sodium-filled hollow exhaust valves let spent gasses back out. A hydraulic-roller cam provides a significant .591-inch lift, even before taking into account the super-high-ratio rocker arms.

As on the C6R's race engine, hydroformed four-into-one tubular headers carry the exhaust from the heads, after which it's routed into a model-unique set of catalytic converters and dual-mode mufflers. The latter include a vacuum-operated valve that stays closed at low revs to manage noise and opens at larger throttle angles for minimum backpressure. The engine is lubricated by racing-style dry-sump oiling, which ensures complete lubrication under all cornering loads. Despite the massive displacement, lightweight internals give the LS7 a 7000-rpm redline in roadgoing trim—a figure more commonly associated with multivalve twincam Fours than traditional pushrod V8s.
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

well the top fuel engine has to be 500 cub or under to race i think.. they use to make 7000hp ages ago... now they have a hell of alot more with newer technology.
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion