Stupid LSD question

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
skip
Registered Bitch

Stupid LSD question

Post by skip »

The assumption would be that if I have the 'if your ar is fitted with LSD...' sticker on my inside door frame, it would be fitted? Or was that just put there as standard on JDs?

I havent had the opportunity to jack it up and spin the wheels to test it yet :oops:
C Fernance
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by C Fernance »

All that sticker means is that the car was origionally fitted with an LSD. Doesn't stop someone from pulling the diff out and replacing it with an open one some time in the last 20 or so years.
By day he is mild-mannered Chris Fernance, by night he becomes...ASTRON-man. "Defender of all things Scorpion, from the evil forces of COMMODORE-man"
skip
Registered Bitch

Post by skip »

I've had it for the last 7, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been ripped out recently :D
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

just apply a bit too much acceleration on some wet grass and find out for yourself.
---------
TVR T350C
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

slide your head under the back of the car and there should eb a sticker on the diff, otherwise you could jack it up and try spinning the wheels
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

tmz_99 wrote:just apply a bit too much acceleration on some wet grass and find out for yourself.
That's not really a good way to find out , as most cars with IRS have a tendancy to spin both wheels if there is little traction on both wheels. Better to find a private piece of bitumen , turn the wheel full lock and dump it. you'll soon know if you have LSD as the car will literally throw itself around in a power-u-turn , instead of just going in a circle with one wheel spinning.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I've said this before. One wheel on the neighbours nature strip, one wheel on the road. Lots of revs and drop the clutch. If you sit and dig a hole in the neighbours lawn, no lsd. If you drive away and leave a long track in the neighbours lawn, yes lsd. NEVER do this on your own lawn.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

Alspos wrote:I've said this before. One wheel on the neighbours nature strip, one wheel on the road. Lots of revs and drop the clutch. If you sit and dig a hole in the neighbours lawn, no lsd. If you drive away and leave a long track in the neighbours lawn, yes lsd. NEVER do this on your own lawn.

and that my friend is a true test for LSD

:beer
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

it's a good way to break it too
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Should know if you have lsd just by turning sharp. Burning out is just an option, my rear tires tend to burn off a ibt just by turning sharp.

If you are not sure if you have lsd or not, you probably don't

My favorite way to remind myself is powerslaves version :)
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
Flash
Dorifto!

Post by Flash »

tmz_99 wrote:just apply a bit too much acceleration on some wet grass and find out for yourself.
I gave that a go. Got LSD marks but the car is claimed not to be an LSD so dont know if that is a way to test it. Its a JA 83.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Powerslave wrote:
That's not really a good way to find out , as most cars with IRS have a tendancy to spin both wheels if there is little traction on both wheels. Better to find a private piece of bitumen , turn the wheel full lock and dump it. you'll soon know if you have LSD as the car will literally throw itself around in a power-u-turn , instead of just going in a circle with one wheel spinning.
What Powerslave said
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

There are stickers on the back of the housing. H8 and H9. I think H9 is the LSD car not at house presently so not sure
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Just jack both wheels off the ground and turn one. If one goes forwards and one backwards, you have an open diff. If they both go the same direction you have an LSD
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

GADGET wrote:There are stickers on the back of the housing. H8 and H9. I think H9 is the LSD car not at house presently so not sure
H8 is the single spinner, H9 is the LSD, assuming noone has changed the backing plate. :twisted:
Alspos wrote:Just jack both wheels off the ground and turn one. If one goes forwards and one backwards, you have an open diff. If they both go the same direction you have an LSD
This is the best way to check, whilst preserving your diff, tyres, drivetrain as well as the relationship you may have with your neighbours. :D
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.