Starion Insurance ??

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Starion Insurance ??

Post by glutonous gloop »

Has anyone had any success in getting Full Comp or Third Party Only insurance for their Starion with 7" width wheels (eg 17 x 7) ? I've been advised through RACV that a 6.5" wheel width is the maximum they will accept for a Starion regardless of other dimensions.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

ill tell you when i ring up justcars to tell em about my new wheels (16x7) but i doubt they will have a problem with it.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

did you ask them why, I find their answers are very interesting most of the time...
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

if they are the same as NRMA here in nsw...i got told that having wheels over 6" on one of my older cars would not fit correctly, hence why they wouldnt insure it...which was crap cause I had 7" wide wheels on just fine,
Multipoint Conversion Underway
http://starions.fr33z3.net/mpi/
glutonous gloop
I like starions

The Vehicle Standards Information document indicates that an increase in the wheel track up to 25mm per wheel is acceptable from the RTAs perspective. So in short, going from my JDs standard 6.5" width to 7" should be fine (aside from any other diameter changes). I'm assuming JAs & JBs also have a 6.5" standard width.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear the insurance companies see it the same way. It would be great to know if anyone has had any success with an insurance company when disclosing they have 7" width wheels which is quite a modest increase.

The RACV boffin I had, which I assume would be similar with NRMA, indicated that greater than 6.5" width would void the cover - this is scary for any of us out there with a slight increase in wheel width.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

That's a common bullshit excuse that insurance robbers use. Even though it is completely legal under the letter of the law, any variation from rock stock standard gives the insurance company an out if they ever have to pay out. So unless your car is completely original, go to another insurer.

BTW, just because the rim is wider, the track may not have changed. As long as the offset is the same as stock, the track will be identical.

Did you also happen to mention the multipoint?
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

JA are 6inch i think

JB are 6 1/2.

I wonder how they would take the multipoint, not too well i would guess.
Glenjo
Enthusiast

Post by Glenjo »

No not with an aftermarket ECU to run it seeings they are ILLEGAL

Dumb shits.. cars run smoother and cleaner.. but no
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Aaah of course no mention of multipoint, ecu, removal of emission control, pod filter, different engine #, lowered springs, probably something to do with a high flowed 3" exhaust - yes it does seem a bit ridiculous come to think of it

does beg the question. How many of our Starions are remotely legal when it comes to insurance ?

Al, The offset on my 17 x 7s is +20, is that stock ? Again a bit superfluous anyway. Do you happen to know an insurer out there who insures mods such as ours ?

Luke, looks like you're out as well then.

Better not run up the back of a Ferrari !
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

sssssshhhhhhhhh!!!!! They might be watching. :shock:

Just Car might be a good option or try Vigil or Shannons.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

+20 is stock.
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

I was in getting my green slip the other day and the guy behind the counter at NRMA say he will do up a quote for ttp. He comes back to me and say im approved at $70 a month, naturally i take this up. He then casually asks if i have any modifications on the car, first i tell him about the cooler which he takes in his stride, then starts to make a list i next mention the exhuast, to which he replys there isnt a chance in hell nrma would go near me.
Funny because he was heaps keen on the sale rofl
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
glutonous gloop
I like starions

looks like i'll just have to pick a time to drive when there's no other cars on the road.

shite how am i going to get to work ??
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

just cars allow any mods as long as they are disclosed, i have my ecu on the insurance policy.
Aftermarket ECU's are not illegal, they can be engineered.
Stock offset on wheels is 18.
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

Just cars are funny. When my policy was finalsied I told them had 2.6, intercooler, 3 inch exhaust, throttle body, fuel pump, bigger turbo, ecu, multipoint, h/duty clutch, 16inch wheels, engineer report.

The engineer report made the dumb woman happy. But things like the ecu she didn't didn't know what it was. went down as computer modifications, clutch=gearbox modifications, Throttle body,fuel pump and multipoint went to fuel system and intake modifications

There is a whole heap of stuff I had to tell her but she kind of gave up and cut me off and started asking other info
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?