need help with turbo swap

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

need help with turbo swap

Post by gotrice? »

Gday i have just taken off my old turbo cause it was stuffed and began putting a new/old one but i just noticed that on either side of the turbo there's these bolts and what i think are oil lines heres the pics

now my old turbo didn't have these bolts but it should have cause there are holes for the bolts maybe this is why the turbo it stuffed? but anyway what am i ment to run to these? and where's it located?
I'm Back
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Those are the water cooling lines. It's upto you whether you want to adapt you engine to run water cooling.

However you can run the turbo fine without water cooling. Just like any normal oil cooled turbo.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

should i plug the holes?
I'm Back
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Not a bad idea if you want to keep foreign material out of the water jacket.

Just get a couple of bolts that fit.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I fitted a water cooled turbo to mine, and I didn't bother plugging up the holes. It didn't do any harm.
Andrew_AWR
[P] Plates

Post by Andrew_AWR »

Yeah they are water cooling lines.

My first turbo didnt have them but the second one did. I had all mine done professionally by a turbo builder and a mechanic and neither of them seemed concerned about not plugging it up.

It isnt too hard to adapt to watercooling either im lead to believe.

Andrew
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Well I would think it might be better leaving them open to help let the heat out.

The best idea of course is connect the water properly. You only need a T-piece in the heater hose and return the water to the top of the thermostat housing.
gotrice?
Enthusiast king

Post by gotrice? »

woo who problems not :x

okay first i put the turbo back on put it all back togeather only to find the dump pipe didn't line up i thought i just had to adjust the dump pipe only to find that its not the dump but the exaust housing HMMM :glare: so i take out the turbo core to just put my old exaust housing on what happens i stip one of the blots!!! and now i have to wait 3 weeks before i get back to try and doing anything else.

not a happy camper
I'm Back