turning the ECI unit

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

turning the ECI unit

Post by rxtoy »

don't know you guys do this much, i'm wanting to give it a try because it will make for much shorter intercooler piping when i get around to it.

basically (from what i can find out) you make up a spacer plate and turn the whole ECI unit through 90ish degrees so the inlet is facing the front of the car.

i could pull everything apart and just jump in with both feet but i figured i'd try and see if anybody on here has done it, what results they had (good and bad) and hopefully somebody will have a diagram or something of what i pretty much need to do.

anyway, here's a pic of what i want to do in case it doesn't all make sense (not my car, damn it):

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

I have seen some pics of euro lancers with rotated throttle bodies , so I suppose it's possible , but on the starions , the water jackets and other factors become a problem. It might work for you , though , good luck.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

with the skinny looking throttle bodys on the later cars, they had some sorta air diverter plate.... I suppose to help the wet manifold with its already poor distribution. The consensus (at least on the u.s. forums) is to leave it alone and not 'make bad worse'... or lotsa folks would have done so already
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

i thought the US starions ran different engines? like the 2.6's???

the english guys have had some success with rotating the ECI unit, although some of the were cutting and welding the inlet pipe to move it and this didn't do so well, issues with fuel distribution i think.

i've only heard good things about using a spacer plate though, i've been emailed a job plan of one if anybody's interested??? i could email it on to anyone, just leave an email address.

i might pull mine apart this week and see about this water thing. my engine's out of a galant but i was under the impression that its exactly the same as the 8 valve starion motors anyway. i'll take some pics as i do it and let people know how it goes.

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D