Chrysler Conquest tsi

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Defective
Enthusiast

Chrysler Conquest tsi

Post by Defective »

ok, im looking at ebay and i find this for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... eName=WDVW

to me, it looks like a nice clean staz ( with really cool paint :D )

now, if i go ahead and import one from the states is there anything in particular i should look for?

i wont be importing one for quite a while, but im gonna keep an eye on prices, availability etc.
oz, here i come....
LxS
I love starions

Post by LxS »

Try and find one on the west coast, as it's alot cheaper

also, organise the shipping agent and customs broker first. saves you alot of hassle later.

OR:

PM me and i'll give you the details of my work.

Good luck,
Alexis
8 2 ' M i t s u b i s h i S t a r i o n W i d e b o d y
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Doesn't it need to be at least 20 years old before you can bring it in? Or does it somehow comply with frontal impact standards? Or maybe when you say "i wont be importing one for quite a while" you mean 3 years ;)
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

to bring one in to NZ would there be any issues?
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

StazzyBabyYeah wrote:to bring one in to NZ would there be any issues?
If you wanted to register it, yes (until 2008 at least). Then you have to convert LHD->RHD.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

1) It has to be 15 years old to import it.
2) Why are there no pictures of the front end or the right side? I think there might be some damage.
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

WidebodyWoody wrote:1) It has to be 15 years old to import it.
At the bottom of Defective's avatar is says "Location: Nelson, South island". That's in NZ.

See this site: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/in ... 2-usa.html
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Bugger then
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Re: Chrysler Conquest tsi

Post by mrb1 »

Defective wrote:now, if i go ahead and import one from the states is there anything in particular i should look for?

i wont be importing one for quite a while, but im gonna keep an eye on prices, availability etc.
Be aware the LHD to RHD conversion required welding in the steering column support and also the mount for the clutch pedal box on the right hand side of the car. Also cutting holes for the brake booster. This all can be done but it could cost a bit if you can't do it yourself.
Also the problem is every f$^^% thing has to be taken out to do this. Also black RHD dashes are scarce (maybe ok in NZ?) Mounts are not there for RHD heater assembly, more welding.

Also to install the fresh air duct (outside air) for the heater to the right hand side is a major job.
The Conquest wiring loom is a serious bit of work HEAPS more electrics than our cars. Central locking and climate control, electric seatbelts, stereo controls on the steering wheel, etc, etc.
UltimateLurker
Big Dorifto

Post by UltimateLurker »

Here's what to look for...

1. Low miles
2. Less than 3 previous owners
3. No major accidents (no minor accidents if possible)
4. No modifications
5. Original paint & Interior
6. '88/'89

I purchased my '89 TSi 5-speed SHP last year with 48K on the clock, 1 owner, Mr. Perfect, it cost $4,500 USD, expect to pay that.

Keep in mind that in the US, every town Redneck that used to have a Mustang thinks he can mod the crap out of one of these cars without even checking the oil, and they do, believe me. You'll get what you pay for. Just the other day such a car was on autotrader.com, it was even in rare S83 Shetland Beige, that was your car.

T87 Fiji Blue is nice, but in the end, it's just a color.
UL (The Encyclopedia Starquestica)

Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

jrod82 wrote:Or maybe when you say "i wont be importing one for quite a while" you mean 3 years ;)

got it in one.

i want as late a model as possible (thanks for the info, oscar) and im prepared to wait. i dont want to convert it to rhd, so if i find one earlier then it will sit in storage. My uncle imports corvettes from california so he has all the contacts necessary to provide safe storage for an extended period, if necessary. ( the bastard will get to drive my new car before me!!!)

plus, realistically its gonna take me at least 24 months to get the $$ together to have enough for as near to perfect a conquest as possible.

the reason im looking now, is to get a good idea of prices, availability etc etc.
ultimatelurker wrote:I purchased my '89 TSi 5-speed SHP last year with 48K on the clock, 1 owner, Mr. Perfect, it cost $4,500 USD, expect to pay that.
its actually the pics of your car that convinced to go down this route. You simply cannot get a starion in New Zealand as good as that without spending huge money. I think 'jrod' may well have bought the only affordable widebody in NZ.

Plus getting one from the states adds a bit of 'uniqueness' to it as well, hence why i want to leave it lhd.
oz, here i come....
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Defective wrote:Plus getting one from the states adds a bit of 'uniqueness' to it as well, hence why i want to leave it lhd.
That would be very cool - although overtaking may be difficult ;)

I thought that there was a law saying it had to be converted, but according to this: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/12.html, it's ok. Maybe you have to convert it if you sell it?
bshade
[P] Plates

Post by bshade »

Why do you have to convert it, why cant you just drive it the way it is. That would make it so much more special. I want to get a fuji blue rhd and rock in that here in the USA. Have two identical cars, and trick my friends with them. And I just want a rhd.
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSI Electric Blue wrecked, 1989 Chrysler conquest TSI R04 red RIP, 1989 Chrysler Conquest TSI Black and Tan MPI set up, 1988 Firebird Trans AM, 1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z, 1987 BMW 325is, 1978 Dodge RamCharger
14.133 @ 96.8 W/ 1.881 60ft
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Buy one from the west coast of the states. Most mid to east coast cars have quite a bit of rust on them. They dont salt the roads on the west coast, so our cars dont rust like mad.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

jrod82 wrote:That would be very cool - although overtaking may be difficult ;)

I thought that there was a law saying it had to be converted, but according to this: http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/12.html, it's ok. Maybe you have to convert it if you sell it?
if you lived in the states for a certain amount of time and owned the car for that time you dont have to convert it until you sell it.

but im going for the 21 year rule, once its that old you dont have to convert it, regardless.

and overtaking? yeah, itl be dodgy no doubt...
oz, here i come....