(Re)colouring Plastic/Vinyl Trims & Carpet

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
JPC
almost postwhore

(Re)colouring Plastic/Vinyl Trims & Carpet

Post by JPC »

I've received a couple of PMs about the recolouring I did in the newly registered beast (the thread is in 'Show & Shine'), so I'll put what I did here in case anyone else is interested.

Basically, I did the whole door trim recolouring thing because I screwed up. I'd bought some vinyl spray which I thought matched the original colour (I'd neglected to take a sample in, 'cos I thought my colour sense was good enough. I wasn't even close). When I found out it didn't match, the only way out was to recolour the whole door trim (both of them). I decided to go for a two-tone thing like in my other Staz.

I used two vinyl colour products:

Motospray Vinyl Spray (for the darker grey)
VHT Vinyl Colour Dye (for the lighter grey)

Both are readily available at most auto shops, and both will work on vinyl, plastic and low pile carpet. There's quite a good range of colours. It's also a very simple job. As with any painting type job, preparation is everthing - the prep being clean it, then use a solvent wax & grease remover. The results are surprisingly good on a properly prepared surface. I was initially a bit sceptical, but not anymore. Here's a closeup shot of a section of recoloured door trim, so you can see the two shades of grey on plastic and vinyl (the lighting is pretty crappy, but good enough to see the final finish). The original door trim colour is in one of the pics further down:

As you can see, it looks like a factory finish. All the 'grain' is still visible. This stuff does not appear to peel, scratch or anything else (it says that on the can, actually, and it looks like they're actually not bullshitting).

Here are the steps in a nutshell:

For plastic and vinyl parts:
1. Remove the bits to be coloured from the car
2. Wash/clean them with whatever you want, rinse and dry.
3. Now use a wax & grease remover (I used a spray can of K&H Wax & Grease Remover). Follow the directions on the can!
4. Let the bits dry thoroughly
5. Spray the bits with the colour, smoothly and evenly - I used about 3 or 4 coats, waiting until touch-dry (about 15-20 minutes) between coats. For bits of trim that aren't flat, you'll have to turn them over to make sure you get coverage
6. Let it dry overnight and you're done!

For carpet:
1. Scrub the carpet with a carpet cleaner (just use a cheap one)
2. Let it thoroughly dry
3. Brush the carpet with a stiff brush, and then get the carpet pile facing in one direction
4. Spray the stuff onto the carpet
5. Wait for it to dry, then brush the carpet, the get the carpet pile facing in the other direction
6. Spray again
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6 in different directions until you get the colour the way you want
8. Brush to get some of the residual stiffness out

If there are bits of original colour that only show up after you've put the carpet back in the car, not a problem. Just mask with newspaper and spray the required section.

Here are some pics:

Before: crappy, dirty carpet. After I cleaned it, it still looked pretty much the same (so you don't have to try and get it spotless or anything like that)

After: Woohoo!

before: grubby door trims, difficult to clean, crappy carpet

After: Woohoo!

You'll notice I haven't yet done the plastic trim on the A pillar - it' still the original (but faded and grubby) colour. I did do the plastic kick panels, scuff plates and plastic bits on the seats:

I still have to do the rear trims, but that can wait a bit.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
davidbek95
I've been here before

good job

Post by davidbek95 »

very impressed,when i get my motor back from Chris Collier, put it in i will copy your design of work very impressed inyour work, well done.
regards david
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

Awesome job, i love all of these tech articles that are popping up. Maybe we should have Tech Articles section??
:D :wink:
- el schmicko detailer -
SCORP 1
I like starions more

Post by SCORP 1 »

Just be careful around where the inner door handle is, I painted mine white (great idea... :roll: ) and they've chipped badly from people opening the doors and letting fingernails and jewellery etc. rub on the painted part...
Oldschool Drift Machine.
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

SCORP 1 wrote:Just be careful around where the inner door handle is, I painted mine white (great idea... :roll: ) and they've chipped badly from people opening the doors and letting fingernails and jewellery etc. rub on the painted part...
What paint did you use? After I painted the first couple of small pieces, I deliberately tried to scratch it off to see how good the adhesion/colouring was, and was impressed by it's resistance.
SCORP 1
I like starions more

Post by SCORP 1 »

VHT Vinyl dye... Not sure if it's supposed to be used on plastic, but that's what I used..

I didn't do as much preperation to the surfaces that you did though, could be where I'm going wrong..
Oldschool Drift Machine.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

You can't dye the plastic! Luckily I still have some of the Krylon Fusion paint from the US that I painted my centre console with! This stuff is awesome, scratch and chip proof!
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
SCORP 1
I like starions more

Post by SCORP 1 »

meh.. It worked for a while :D
Oldschool Drift Machine.
StarionBoy
i need to paint my car!

Post by StarionBoy »

looks good, but how well do u reckon it would work on the seats? would it wear off quickly? or would it be ok?
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

According to the US forum, it doesn't stick to the seats - scratches off easily.

I painted the interior door release trim with normal paint on my sigma and it never got any scratches or chips. I thought you could use the vinyl dye on plastic though?
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Both VHT and Motospray state that it works with plastic. Seems fine so far, but I'd say the longer term result depends on the type of plastic.

Alternatively, you can use a plastic primer and then apply any paint you like.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I painted my center console in normal out of a can satin black... Did a fair ammount of prep work tho, scuffed it up a bit first with a plastic scotchbrite pad. Looks really good and very durable. Got one scratch now from a turbo being dropped on it, but no biggie :).
StarionBoy
i need to paint my car!

Post by StarionBoy »

ProZac wrote:Got one scratch now from a turbo being dropped on it
that would probably do it rofl
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Well, here's my doors after the above method was used...

And here's my centre console...

I also have to stress the importance of using the Wax and Grease remover THROUGHLY, that Armorall shit is a pain in the ass!
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
SCORP 1
I like starions more

Post by SCORP 1 »

wow, i wonder how easy it will be to keep the white clean..
Oldschool Drift Machine.