alternator

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Kano
[L] Plates

alternator

Post by Kano »

my alternator has just died. ive got a fat stereo two amps suckin power. just wondering if any higher powered alternators from any other cars fit straight into the stazz thanks
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yeah the 65A Starion alternator is just a baby.

From memory Repco sell 150A universal kits, replace the insides of your existing, and 150A will keep those amps running happy.

If you want cheap, just drag your dead one to a wreckers and see what you come up with :) But I know in the Mitsi range, they mostly vary from 65-85A - so not much of an upgrade :(
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

That sounds right, cost me around $60 NZD for a new alternator second hand (65A I assume) but my mate went and got a conversion done professionally for $220NZD, gives you a ball park figure :)
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
Kano
[L] Plates

cheers

Post by Kano »

cheers but im keen to just pull one off round the corner at upull. all alternators $33 bucks, just wana know if any other model cars maybe a magna or anything goes in straight swap. keen for high amp one but not too bothered for now just want battery to last longer than a week
Ice Starion
I like starions more

Post by Ice Starion »

i got a alt from a 95 galant that bolt´s with no problem even the connections are the same
Birgir Örn

'87 Mitsubushi Starion
4G63 Polished & Ported Cylinder Head
Kano
[L] Plates

Post by Kano »

sick cheers dude mines only got a couple o days left in it before my battery dies once again. i will go hunting for one. how many amps are they do you know
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

You might wanna look at getting a secondary battery also, because if you discharge the battery too quickly you will end up with collapsed cells.
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

JB's have an 85A, bit better than 65A
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

Magna alternator is 85A I think. The big 150A aftermarket ones may cause a fitment problem.

http://austarion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2428