td05 14 vs TC06

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
4g6beat
I love starions

td05 14 vs TC06

Post by 4g6beat »

Ok as some of you may know from my other post my tc06 has seen better days however i have a spare vr 4 turbo and dump pipe laying around. Would it be worth mucking around getting it in or should i just replace it with another tc06?

also does anyone know a decent seller of mitsu trbos? say tdo5's and stuff? internet or local.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I would suggest somewhere but i don't know where wollongong is :P
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

It's an hour south of sydney so in Australia basicaly for all our kiwi friends on the site (and in ternationally of course).
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
Coltfiction
Dorifto!

Post by Coltfiction »

Go the 'TD05H' :wink: Call MTQ Engine Systems (Dynamic Turbo's) on '97572766' as they're pretty good with MHI turbochargers. I should know, i worked for em............

Matt
=FSA= 'Performance Tuning'

-Microtech's fitted & tuned
-Advanced ignition systems
-Turbocharger upgrades/rebuilds

Post by rxtoy »

what i'm planning (stariontron has done it if you want more/better details) is TC06 exhaust housing, TC05 inlet housing, and internals from a TD05 (hopefully a 16G compressor wheel but i'll see what comes up). the housings need to be bored out (easy enough for any turbo shop) and put it together, not too expensive and best thing is it bolts straight into your car, no messing around. fairly cheap too unless you replace the bearings and even then its not too bad compared to something that would require custom fabrication work.

worth looking into anyway,

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

rxtoy wrote:what i'm planning (stariontron has done it if you want more/better details) is TC06 exhaust housing, TC05 inlet housing, and internals from a TD05 (hopefully a 16G compressor wheel but i'll see what comes up). the housings need to be bored out (easy enough for any turbo shop) and put it together, not too expensive and best thing is it bolts straight into your car, no messing around. fairly cheap too unless you replace the bearings and even then its not too bad compared to something that would require custom fabrication work.

worth looking into anyway,

cheers
Matt
other way round man, 5 exhaust and 6 compressor housing... otherwise youll have something the lags until 6000rpm and then bottles up at 6001rpm :P
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

doh! :oops:

at least i found out before i did it,

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Sorry guys I don't think either of you are right.

I have been trying to marry a TD05 Big 16g to TC06 and then a TC05 exhaust housing. The idea being to build a really grunty hybrid which is quick down low without losing top end speed. Neither works.

The 06 is too big and the 05 is too small. I am currently looking in to having my TC05 wastegate ground out as the 16g is producing too much boost.

I am thinking that it might be better to source a TD05 exhaust housing for me or better still for you just buy the whole TD05 turbo. Otherwise I think you are going to have nothing but trouble.

Be interested to know how you go.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Darkelf wrote:Sorry guys I don't think either of you are right.

I have been trying to marry a TD05 Big 16g to TC06 and then a TC05 exhaust housing. The idea being to build a really grunty hybrid which is quick down low without losing top end speed. Neither works.

The 06 is too big and the 05 is too small. I am currently looking in to having my TC05 wastegate ground out as the 16g is producing too much boost.

I am thinking that it might be better to source a TD05 exhaust housing for me or better still for you just buy the whole TD05 turbo. Otherwise I think you are going to have nothing but trouble.

You need the stock US 2.6 Starion TD05 8cm2 exhaust housing. And it will bolt straight on (YES IT WILL come to my place and have a look).

Darkelf did you get the 16G-TD05H or 16G-TD05?
What size is the 05 turbine housing you have 6cm2? It will have eg. 060 (6cm2) or 080 (8cm2) on the housing.
Anyhow if it's 6cm2 that will be way too small.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Hi Mark, the turbo was the TD05H big 16g.

Not sure of the size of the 05 housing. Will have a look tonight. It was way too small though and man does it overboost!

Watcha reckon on grinding the wastegate out??? I'm thinking it might be waste of time/money.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Darkelf wrote:Hi Mark, the turbo was the TD05H big 16g.

Not sure of the size of the 05 housing. Will have a look tonight. It was way too small though and man does it overboost!

Watcha reckon on grinding the wastegate out??? I'm thinking it might be waste of time/money.
You need to tell me what size 05 housing you have? If it's from an Jap import 4G63 SOHC that had a TC05 it will probably be a 6cm2 (060 on it). The US Starion TD05 8cm2 housing will need minor machining to fit the 05H turbine wheel because it's about 2mm bigger on one end than the 05 wheel.

However didn't you get the complete turbo with exhaust housing?
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

no, he did not get the complete turbo. :x
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

TC06 - laggy....
All this fiddling with housings.

:D

(yeah custom manifold blah blah, custom dump) but dayum this bitch spins freely.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Why can't you put the complete TD05 on?
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

Darkelf wrote:Sorry guys I don't think either of you are right.

well i did it using a tc05 exhaust housing, like i said you have to get it milled out. cost me $20 at the local machine shop. havent ported the wastegate yet but im having (unrelated) problems to deal with first