How to make an extra 41HP at the wheels, change the turbo!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

How to make an extra 41HP at the wheels, change the turbo!

Post by mrb1 »

Here is the dyno sheet after fitting the Ralliart TD06-19C and exhaust manifold (this turbo ROCKS!). Previous best number with the high flowed TD05 was 180HP!
There was NO other changes just what was required to plumb the different exhaust flange with seperate wastegate pipe.

Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Nice. :)

Just note, people, that this is a 2.6 motor.

Now whats going on with that boost? Seems to drop off a bit.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

You think that is bad, you should see mine drop off. The guys who tuned my car did a piss weak job of it. I think they must have backed off or I have serious issues.

mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

WidebodyWoody,
what turbo,etc have you got? Something is going wrong big time with your graph? Remember I have a ported Magna head with a Camtech cam (same grind as Cookies actually) and a full 3 inch exhaust.

Cookie,
are yes very interesting (it's actually making 220 with only 13psi). However the turbo outlet pressure holds ok (which obviously is not shown on the graph). The restriction is in the standard TBI throttle body and a bit from the standard intercooler. The wastegate is connected to the crossover pipe so maintains the pressure fine the drop in the manifold is cause by the TBI throttle body. As you can see as the revs go up (airflow increasing) this restriction has more effect so the boost drops.
And yes an electronic boost controller would increase the turbo outlet boost to whatever is needed to keep it constant in the manifold. Maybe someone can buy me one for christmas :D

Anyhow I probably won't worry too much about this because I am putting on the Magna MPI soon.

This is my baseline LOTS of things to start optomising. Still running the standard computer and restrictive air flow meter!

Note when Ralliart ran this setup they used the JA type TBI extensively ported and cut out a section from the airflow meter to allow more flow. And Cookie they used electronic boost control controlled by the ECU.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Had a feeling it would be the standard TBI causing that.

So after the MPI and electronic boost controller go on, I get a drive.. right? :wink:
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I am running a Haltech E6K and a Garrett GT35 turbo. The exhaust is 2" and I am going to change that as soon as I get some money. Apparently the inkjectors are maxed out at the 9psi, What do you guys think. I am going to go multipoint but can't afford to change the intercooler piping just yet, as this would be necessary wouldn't it with MPI?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

The intercooler piping should not be smaller than the throttle body.

If it is it will cause a restriction.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Piping, I thought about it but the way the Magna Multipoint faces, the piping wont line up.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

WidebodyWoody wrote:Piping, I thought about it but the way the Magna Multipoint faces, the piping wont line up.
You could run a pipe along near the top of the radiator to cross over to the Magna manifold something like this guy in the US (see pic below). Not ideal because of hot air from the radiator but at least you could drive around while you are saving up to do it properly.

I think you really do need a 3" exhaust (from the turbo) certainly 2" is way too small.

Here are my engine bay pics.
Last edited by mrb1 on Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Cookiemonster wrote:Had a feeling it would be the standard TBI causing that.

So after the MPI and electronic boost controller go on, I get a drive.. right? :wink:
So your going to buy me an electronic boost controller for Christmas...right? :wink:
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

OK.. I'll buy you one for Christmas*.

*Christmas 2015
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

17c, 18g and 19c coupled with 06 hotside proven great turbos for the 2.6.
Where is the torque vs rpm graph ? Tq is where the 2.6 magic comes from.
Lots of these 2.6s and 2.0 sohc motors have sub 5k power dropoffs, yet some 'claim' their setup pulls to 6500rpm (no dyno tho). This is a BIG mystery with these motors appearently.
To begin with, u really gotta go thru your airflow paths and eliminate restrictions one by one.

One of the most impressive 2.6s I've seen, modified his tbi intake to mpi with a bigger, cheap ford throttle body and ran inexpensive sdsefi.com ems. Ran 12.8s on a 'tiny' 12A turbo.... lots faster on bigger turbos too. Auto tranny 'adapted' tho.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

What is the Diameter of the Standard Staz T/b ?
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

My tuner suggested that the cam was really going to hold my setup back. I am running a TR roller cam with manual tappets and although I was turning only 8psi and a 5000rpm rev limit (fresh motor) we could see the graph level out after 4000rpm.

Thus one of the things on my list to do before I go back for a balls out run is a bigger aftermarket cam.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I found out a few things, first my map sensor is tuned off the throttle position, not the map sensor. This is bad, secondly my fans aren't working at all and my custom exhaust manifold has a bad leak in it. But I will keep you all posted.