How Strong is the 4G63 SOHC? How much POWER???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

wasn't there an article on the web of a nice staz engaged in a dyno shootout ? Beyondthelimit or coltspeed ?? I think an Izusu won. Staz made over 300whp, and limited by the boost allowed for the competition.
I thought I save that link, but can't find it.

When pushing the envelope to see what your setup is capable of, do u guys not spike your fuel, run race gas or water/alky injection ?
Folks here dyno/tune for 'street trim' (the way car is run daily) also.
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

generally people dont tune their cars purley for dyno comps over here, most dyno comps are street cars maybe running bit of octane booster, raise the boost a little bit, that sorta thing...
Its all about backing ur figures up on the strip/at the lights..:)
---------
TVR T350C
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

CussCuss wrote:Apparently the group A starions ran about 1 bar with no cooler (race fuel of course) fine but still didnt rev em hard.
You're thinking of groupE cars, production car racing...

The groupA intercooler is the same size as the radiator.... and 8k isn't hard??
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

I agree with flappa on this one , when the starion broke the conrod straight speed record , it would have to been revving at least 7500 rpm. Not bad for TB injection & no IC !
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Powerslave wrote:I agree with flappa on this one , when the starion broke the conrod straight speed record , it would have to been revving at least 7500 rpm. Not bad for TB injection & no IC !
when did it do that and what was the speeD?
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

i dunno about any records, I think the group C cars were still faster in a straight line... Group A was initially a lot slower than the big bangers were.

In 1986 the factory staz got 269km/h in qualifying... which was the fastest car for the weekend, with no caltex-chase though so they had a lot more road compared to the years after...

A few years later my dad was clocked at 272km/h in his starion (coltspeed car), which was WITH the chase.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

quest wrote:wasn't there an article on the web of a nice staz engaged in a dyno shootout ? Beyondthelimit or coltspeed ?? I think an Izusu won. Staz made over 300whp, and limited by the boost allowed for the competition.
I thought I save that link, but can't find it.
check out www.beyondthelimit.com.au

i believe the article is there somewhere
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

tmz_99 wrote:generally people dont tune their cars purley for dyno comps over here, most dyno comps are street cars maybe running bit of octane booster, raise the boost a little bit, that sorta thing...
Its all about backing ur figures up on the strip/at the lights..:)
tmz_99 I agree, settle it on the black top, drag strip of course.
The starion is not a quick off the line car, in stock form, where it shines though is its brilliant handling I have flogged 250Kw HSV around bends by the time he catches up there's another tight bend and I lose him again so on and so on, you get the idea. IF, there was more power to be had reliably, and I emphasise "reliably", there would be very cars today that could match it on a straight line.

The other alternative to building killer engines is to shed some weight, every kilo shed is extra power at the wheels, sadly not many people take this approach..

I would take the rear seats out, get sparcos for the front, remove the spare wheel (who gets flats anymore)
maybe a CF bonnet, remove every useless thing. I'd love to see how much power can be had doing this.
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

I think it was in 86 , 274kph down conrod straight - the record stood for a few years too.
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Powerslave wrote:I think it was in 86 , 274kph down conrod straight - the record stood for a few years too.
Hmm, no. Don't you read my post? Staz did 269km/h qualifying in 1986. Group C Jag's were doing 277km/h in 1984.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

fr335tyl3r wrote:
Powerslave wrote:I agree with flappa on this one , when the starion broke the conrod straight speed record , it would have to been revving at least 7500 rpm. Not bad for TB injection & no IC !
when did it do that and what was the speeD?
ah yes and leaded race fuel not sure what it was then, but today you can get 100 RON leaded, that should help with detonation a bit
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ