Twin Cam Engines

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

i belive i have found a bolt on gearbox, BUT i wont get a chance to find out till next friday. i might let u know if it works. :D *bribes, bribes*
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

haha cheeky bugger!

Let us know how you get on :D
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Decoy,
I believe you should find a box for your Scorpion that will fit. I have been told that the last model RWD Sigma's had the "narrow" bellhousing and also I think the importers have these boxes. However the extension housing (the bit with the gearlever) is much longer on the Starion to get the gearstick in the right place. I have been told with a bit of work that you can put the Starion extension housing on the "narrow" gearbox. This info came from a guy down Nowra way who told me this was how his gearbox was made. However I don't know how much work there really is and what the gearbox he used with the "narrow" bellhousing came from. His mechanic built it for him so he did not know any specific details.

cheers,
Mark.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Mark,

What was this guy's name and did he used to (or still does) work for Nowra Mitsubishi? I recall quite a few years ago a guy in Nowra had two VR4'd Starions that he did himself.

All FWD/4WD 4g engines had the narrower block whereas the RWD ones had the wide block.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Supra 5spd

Post by Paradoxx »

The supra box works nicely with the vr4 motor. Also i wasn't saying you can use the starion ecu. I am running a haltech e6k which runs the direct fire wasted spark, mpi, idle speed, wastegate, closed loop, even antilag... other systems cost heaps and some require other bits to be bought to make things work.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

NXTIME,
yes he used to work for Nowra Mitsubishi a good while ago now. But I think the mechanic who did the conversion for him worked at Nowra Misubishi as well although I never got to speak to him. As I recall it was a complete conversion including VR4 computer and wiring!!! I never got to see the car. I think he had it for sale in the trading post so I gave him a call (a long time (years) ago).

cheers,
Mark.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Paradoxx,
ok fair enough. The E6 is a good ECU. Does the Supra box with adapter plate clear the Starion tunnel ok and does the gearstick come up through the floor in the standard positon? Also what slave cylinder do you use for the clutch?
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Mark,

That is the guy. I also saw his ad in the TP all those years ago and gave him a call. He also had a brand new set of wide body guards and 1/4's that he wanted around $2K for. At the time I had just finished rebuilding and painting my car so I didn't buy the guards. That was back in 1998, I think.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

i remember those guards for sale! i think it was more like 3k tho :(

the supra box fits pretty well, but i think it tilts towards the driver a bit? last one i was in needed the handbrake down before i could get to reverse. could be the way that particluar person done it tho.?.
starion84
Big Dorifto

starion gear box

Post by starion84 »

i am have just sat the vr4 motor in my staz using the starion gear box, i made a adapter plate out of 6mm mild steel i have a pic of it, i am not sure if it will work yet, but i think it will,
Paradoxx it would be really good if u could find that ecu starion wiring diagram, i'll be needing it soon for the fun part :?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

All of the wiring diagrams are available online. You'll have to find the post because I can't remember the URL, they're in the Starion manual (117Mb download in english) I think, if not try the 4G63 Manual.

If your adapter plate works, would you be able to make more for cash?
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

starion84,
an adapter plate that sounds interesting. Can you post your picture? Do a couple of the holes line up?

cheers,
Mark.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

picture

Post by Paradoxx »

Hey guys, have a look here:
http://www.nex.net.au/users/paradoxx

there's some photos

The gearstick is in the normal place. I couldn't get a good shot without being able to get under the car to show u the bell housing. As soon as i get a chance i'llget under the car and take some photos.

I'll have a look for the wiring diagram...

Steve.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

starion manuals

Post by Paradoxx »

I have the manuals which i will try to put on the website i mentioned above. The wiring diagrams are on their way also. If anyonewants me to email them let me know...
The clutch slave is the stock starion one.

Steve