Opinions on turbo

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Opinions on turbo

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Hey guys,

Just wanting to get your opinions on how well you think a turbo like one of these would run in a staz (the staz will be ported and polished, have MPI with XF throttle body, VN commodore box with a cold air feed and have evo2 pistons).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 98881&rd=1
Just seeing what is around and finding out what you guys think of them.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

also wat style flange should i be looking for to make the fitting as easy as possible?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

It's too big. You'll have a lag monster on your hands.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

lol ok...so ill drop back again to lookin at the t25 and t28 range? or are they too large too?
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

It's not too big, just not worth it, imho......it's only oil-cooled :shock: plus requires an external wastegate set-up which means plenty of messing around with exhaust :( 0.63 is about right for a nice 2.0L but not worth the effort.........
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

The exhaust wheel is smaller than a TC-06, so i dont think its too big.

It would be a good turbo to try if it was water cooled.

That little hole is the wastegate, you would just need to get the plate that bolts onto the back which has the flap in it.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

You might start getting some boost at 6000rpm :)

Grant at Per4ormance turbos in Perth said he had got a new range of Turbos in from the east that would suit the Staz, he quoted me around $1200 new.

Other wise an EVO turbo, or a Garrett range as up-grades are easy.

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Barney wrote:You might start getting some boost at 6000rpm :)
Are you sure Barny ? Have you actually looked at the A/R ratios on both sides ? You would see full boost by around 6000rpm but should start spooling by about 3000 or there abouts........
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

toysrus wrote:
Barney wrote:You might start getting some boost at 6000rpm :)
Are you sure Barny ? Have you actually looked at the A/R ratios on both sides ? You would see full boost by around 6000rpm but should start spooling by about 3000 or there abouts........
the stazz starts spooling sooner than that I think, my car will start about 1,500 rpm and boost comes in at around 2,500 rpm with about 3 psi...
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I asked the guys at SST and they said a SR20 turbo off a S14 - S15 silvia would be good

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

are there any turbos that i could look at getting that would NOT need to have an adapter made up to be able to be fitted?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

If your doing up your car, your going to want to get a freer flowing exhaust system fitted, especially a new dump-pipe. That opens you up to a few options in the TD series of turbos. Have a look at an EVO3 TD05h-16g turbo, it will bolt to your existing exhaust manifold, and you can have your dump pipe made up to fit it. Hell, go nuts and get a siamese pipe from the wastegate outlet that merges further down the exhaust system :).
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

kool...ill have a look at teh evo3 td05 then :D
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Jeff,

I gather this is for a street car right?

Whats wrong with a well built, hi flowed TC06. It will handle good horsepower, not be too laggy and still give you "enough" top end to satisfy your street appetite. The TC06 is not such a small turbo really for street use. Many guys have raced their Starions using a TC06 base with very good HP results. I'd spend the money on getting the TC06 flowing well before going to a bigger Garret or similiar. Thats my opinion anyway but others might very well disagree. Prozac's idea for a TD05 is good but they still have a relatively small exhaust compared even to a TC06. Just do your research properly and dont be swayed by the 'bigger is better' turbo malaki.

Like one of the guys here says, "horsepowers nothing if you cant use it".

Cheers
Greg
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

A/R wise its fine for some good top end power. Similar to nxtime's to4 so maybe you should speak to him. Its not too big.
Ford G6ET 458wkws