Suspension Ideas?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Entaran
I love starions

Suspension Ideas?

Post by Entaran »

Hi guys, was looking through the rest of this forum and can't find any other thread on this so if i'm double posting I apologise.

Basically, I'm looking for ideas on a setup for circuit. To be honest I couldn't care less about 0-400m racing. If you can't turn it's not worth driving! (And I drive mine every day)

What i'm looking for is a setup (Brands? People to talk to? Any info at all?) to maximise corner speeds and still keep me clear of the ground. If I can I don't want to lower the starion at ALL simply because there are -too many- speedhumps around here and I value my FMIC and front bar. Starion's are low enough factory anyway.

Any info appreciated. I'm in Victoria and Melbourne isn't a problem for me. If it's a complete suspension setup I'd even consider going all the way to Sydney.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Entaran,
talk to Noltec in Sydney they make a full coil-over suspension setup for the Starion. A few of us on the list already have this setup.

http://www.noltec.com.au/

Adjustable (rebound only) Koni dampers, Eibach springs, adjustable camber/castor plates, spherical top bearings (can get urethane for road use), all good stuff.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

mark, on the setups shown above, are the springs vairable rate or linear?
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

and how much did/does it all cost? im gonna fire noltec off an email, that looks rather good :P
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

merlin wrote:mark, on the setups shown above, are the springs vairable rate or linear?
You can put in whatever springs you want. It is a standard race spring dimension (can't remember I will check) there are a million spring rates/types available. Those springs in the picture are linear rate for my track car. As for cost talk to Noltec.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

The Noltec stuff looks really, really good. I couldn't afford it so I went with Whiteline swaybars, King springs, Noltec adjustable camber/caster plates. I got Pedders to custom valve a set of strut inserts for me at a very reasonable price.

I've used a lot of Whiteline products on my cars and they have been very good but I don't recommend the Whiteline rear swaybar as it doesn't properly fit the JA starion (it might fit JB/JD, I don't know).

In the interim I will just daydream about Noltec coilovers :drool:
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I'm in the process of suspension upgrade (for circuit work) with Noltec. I couldn't afford the coil-over option either, so they ordered some custom King Springs for me at about 300lb/inch front and around 180lb/inch rear. This is a bit cheaper than going coil-over, but the spring rates and ride heights are much less precise. Got all the bushes and the adjustable strut tops front and rear. They can make a custom rear strut top even though its not in their catalogue.

I already had the Koni's so they're organising them to be re-valved to suit and teflon (I think it was teflon) seals to be put into them. Been told that the teflon seals are a must if you circuit race the car as the shaft speed can get so high as to damage the regular seals making them leak after a while.

All this is not cheap, but from my experiences with dealing with this sort of thing, its worth doing it properly with an experienced dealer like Noltec rather than going half-assed. Funny thing is, the Noltec guys can't believe the amount of Starion work they've been doing recently! Looks like a lot of Starions hitting the track.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

We should do a group buy on adjustable struts!
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I still got quite a generous discount, but I still couldn't afford the coil-overs... maybe later when I've gotten good use out of my new setup. The parts are still on my garage floor they're so new. :wink:
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

changing the topic a bit, do you guys have a CAMS license for circuit racing?, and if so, do you have a leaded fuel passbook?, basically what I am asking is what does the Stazz go like on 100 ron leaded racing fuel??

from what I understand the only way to legally purchase leaded high octane fuel is to be licensed by CAMS, and only to be used at approved events..
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

i was going planning to get my CAMS once i get the mods to the starion done, no good having it now if im going to race in an echo :S lol but not sure anymore as i really do need the car for street stuff rather than track now.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

yeah I've got a CAMS licence, but I don't have a leaded fuel passbook. I remember that either in the last CAMS magazine or the one before they had something about the changes in the fuel passbook scheme. I didn't pay any attention because they don't apply to me, maybe someone else has on old mag laying around?

It's a lot of trouble to go to when you can buy 98 octane fuel at the nearest Shell/BP and add octane booster if neccessary. We usually add a bottle when we go to the track (particularly in hot weather). I don't know if it provides any additional protection but it's worth it for peace of mind.

I know that some of the rally guys still use Elf racing fuel (maybe 102 octane?) It can be bought for about $2.50 per litre.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

the rate petrol prices are going up, $2.50 a litre might be a good deal this time next year!!!!
maybe we should stock up now.
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

I made my own coil overs for my sigma and adjustable top caps
also fitted ford snall cam camber adjusters to the cross member

when i get off my arse and pick up my starion which is still sitting at a mates house I'll make up the gear for that

cheaterparts
DJ_NoVa
Dorifto!

Post by DJ_NoVa »

comming across this post after looking for some info on my problem,
as i've lowered the car so much the shockers have worked themself to death...
i'm rolling on 350pound front springs.. cant afford the coil covers, i cut the bum stop in half and still can't make the shocker last, its like riding on a pole....
question say i was to grab some of these replacements noltec has for the front, instead of annoying them with silly quotes how much if any one knows are a set?
do they have to be a smaller size due to the fact that the car is sitting a hell of a lot lower???
"No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it".
- Albert Einstein