ECU Suggestions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Barney wrote:The wolf can also run 2 Maps, 1 stored in the computer and the other in a small cartridge thats plugs into the front, these 2 maps can be switched between whilst driving. 1 for getting to an event and the other for racing.
Pardon my ignorance, and this isn't a sledge, but why would you want 2 maps? If the car was tuned correctly then you wouldn't need the other unless you were running a different fuel or something.
brumbrum
Newcomer

Good Wolf ECU tuner

Post by brumbrum »

Anyone know a good Wolf ECU tuner in Brisbane???
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

mrb1 wrote:Why do the V8 supercars blow flames on overrun..........
My TAFE Teacher asked Larry Perkins that exact question.... and his response was "Mine doesn't" So either he indicates that cars that do are poorly tuned or a different tuning strategy or technique.

Think about it... What is the point of having unburnt fuel making it to the pipes... It's simply a waste of fuel. The only time it is uesful to have unburnt fuel making it to the exhaust system is in a turbo rally car or turbo drag car set up with anti lag. ECU's such as the EMS units come standard with this feature. EG. in "Drag mode" what it does is sets up a miss fire and retards the timing. This enable unburnt fuel to be ignited in the exhaust manifold to help spool up the turbo. The result is the driver can build full boost with the accellerator (or whatever boost is desired) while on the start line. When you're ready to launch, just floor it and the ECU disables the missfire and advances the timing to your normal map when a set RPM point is hit. Ive seen and heard a VG30T with anti lag and it is VERY cool. :D
NB: Be prepared to replace exhaust manifold and possibly turbo if anti lag is abused. :shock:
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

TOMSUN wrote:
mrb1 wrote:Why do the V8 supercars blow flames on overrun..........
My TAFE Teacher asked Larry Perkins that exact question.... and his response was "Mine doesn't" So either he indicates that cars that do are poorly tuned or a different tuning strategy or technique.
They are poorly tuned on part load, simple as that. Because in Motec table mode the part throttle load points rarely get looked at. You can have bad "bumps" and "hollows" and they are not obvious unless you look at it in graphic mode. It really bugs me they can't map that properly. All the cars I tuned for Bathurst didn't carry on like that. Just bloody lazy these guys. Hey and they worry about fuel economy what a joke :P
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

ric shaws rx7 uses it to cool the engine, maybe the v8s do this aswell?
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

mrb1 wrote:They are poorly tuned on part load, simple as that. Because in Motec table mode the part throttle load points rarely get looked at. You can have bad "bumps" and "hollows" and they are not obvious unless you look at it in graphic mode. It really bugs me they can't map that properly. All the cars I tuned for Bathurst didn't carry on like that. Just bloody lazy these guys. Hey and they worry about fuel economy what a joke :P
Haha, take a closer look at what cars belch flames and which don't - since they all use the same motec M48 ecu.... It's got nothing to do with the software usability and it's got nothing to do with being poorly tuned either. Not at that level.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

"flappa
Haha, take a closer look at what cars belch flames and which don't - since they all use the same motec M48 ecu.... It's got nothing to do with the software usability and it's got nothing to do with being poorly tuned either. Not at that level.
Why is that? They are overfueled on over run simple as that. I used to tune Landsvale's car. These guys tune them (or don't tune them) that way. At what LEVEL are you talking. A push rod Chev, come on????
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I have heard that they are tuned like this on purpose to look spectacular, and for no other reason. I guess it keeps the sponsors happy, who probably asked for it in the first place.

Not sure how accurate this info is, but given the commercial nature of V8 Supercars these days, I found it believable.
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

Alspos wrote:
Barney wrote:The wolf can also run 2 Maps, 1 stored in the computer and the other in a small cartridge thats plugs into the front, these 2 maps can be switched between whilst driving. 1 for getting to an event and the other for racing.
Pardon my ignorance, and this isn't a sledge, but why would you want 2 maps? If the car was tuned correctly then you wouldn't need the other unless you were running a different fuel or something.
If you were using the ecu to control boost, you may have different maps with different boost settings maybe?
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Having two maps you can have one set for optimum performance and the other as a safe mode (or to pass emissions or comparing performance without having to carry a laptop all the time... etc. up to you...).

EG. If you get a bad batch of fuel or if it a really hot day and the engine starts to ping. Putting it a "safe mode" / map 2, run it rich, less timing, less boost, different rev limits, etc..
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

ok ok ok...someone finish this sentence for me...I should go out and spend a crap load of money on.....[insert word here].....ECU
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

mrb1 wrote:At what LEVEL are you talking. A push rod Chev, come on????
Yeah, I'm saying they are over fuelled at that LEVEL of tune DELIBERATELY.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Overfuelling help cool the engine as well (believe it or not with those flames) I remember being told it helps reduce temperatures in the cylinder.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

ok now that we are done stealin my thread...*cough* hehe
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

flappa wrote:
mrb1 wrote:At what LEVEL are you talking. A push rod Chev, come on????
Yeah, I'm saying they are over fuelled at that LEVEL of tune DELIBERATELY.
Ok :D