ECU Suggestions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

ECU Suggestions

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Hey guys,

Im trying to work out what ECU I should be looking for to support the new upgrades (MPI, eventually bigger turbo, etc) and just wanted to hear your opinions on what would be good to go for.

Basically I am looking for an ECU that will support my MPI system (shouldnt be too hard) and it preferrably will have 4 ignition outputs or built in ignitors so I can run direct fire multi coil, but 2 in wasted spark would be on I guess. Im also looking for boost control although I can do this througgh a normal style boost controller if need be and also something cool like traction control would be a fun thing to play around with I think, good for rain, but has to be able to be turned off.

Budget has not yet been determined but it is going to be large, so Im not too concerned about price, but money saved here can go towards upgrades on other parts of the system :D

Other than the usual ECUS I have access to a custom ECU from a guy from my Uni. Its in custom beta testing stage at the moment but the good thing is that it is a self learning ECU, and he offered to road tune it for free for me.

Total cost for the custom ECU would be 570 including 2 ignitors. Only draw back of this is that it only has 2 ignition outputs so ide have to be firing in wasted spark yeh? and it doesnt have the traction or boost control that im looking for, but it does have normal aux in and outs that I could adapt for the purpose (bit more fiddly than a built in unit though).

All suggestions welcome.

Btw the custom ecu information can be found here: http://www.adaptronic.com.au
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

EMS is a local Company (Sydeny) that make some of the most competitive priced ECU's around.

EMS Stinger 3 $995 (Stinger 4 soon to be released). Adequate, also has Anti-Lag mode for Drag or Rally.

EMS 8860 $1500 approx. More load points and more inputs & outputs. Far better unit.

Both data log and take Wideband sensors.
Real time programmable, window based.

http://www.enginemanagementsystem.com/

Note: Rigoli's Black Ute runs an EMS Unit (Dual Sport of which has been superseeded by the Stinger).
Glenjo
Enthusiast

Post by Glenjo »

Atari 2600
fil
I've been here before

Post by fil »

The main problem with using a custom ecu is only the person who built it / understands it can tune it for you, good if you want to tune it yourself and learn - bad if things start to go wrong or if you dont have acess to a dyno for fine tunning.
If your going to be spending big money on your car I would suggest getting a main stream ecu such as haltech, ems or wolf etc etc.
Good luck
Starions: The wedge with the edge !
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

If you have the budget, dont skimp on the ECU. Its the brain, go Motec if you can afford it.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

ECu

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I need help. I am about 2 days off getting an ECU and need to know which is better. Haltech or EMS? Or are they both pretty similar. I know MOTECH is the best but it is out of my range. I know the EMS has a built in MAP sensor where as the Haltech hasn't. And EMS can run multi coils.

Advice please.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

whatever the person tuning it is most familiar with.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Who is going to do the tuning?

Do you have access to a wideband O2 sensor???
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

If hte question is directed at me, then both myself and the guy who made the ECU will be doing the tuning, and yes i do have access to a wideband o2 sensor.

Oh well it looks like ill just drop another pretty penny or 2 on a nice motec. If im gonna spend a lot on the car, i might as well get a damn good ECU as well.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Opinions on the M4 Motec vs the M400 Motec? And approximate price on the m4 pro? Any other suggestions for good ECU's?
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

If you are a 'tweaker'or like to tune it yourself , you cannot go past the wolf. Make sure you get the version 4 though. The software is VERY good and makes tuning a lot simpler. Wolf may have had a bad name from previous versions , but the latest version has certainly upped the ante.
MrGenius
Big Dorifto

Post by MrGenius »

Haltech E6X and use GSR coil packs.

Info sheet http://www.haltech.com.au/downloads/e6x_spec.pdf
I know the EMS has a built in MAP sensor where as the Haltech hasn't.
Which means u have a long vacuum hose going from your engine thru the firewall and into wherever u mount the ecu not the ideal setup.
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

fr335tyl3r wrote:Opinions on the M4 Motec vs the M400 Motec? And approximate price on the m4 pro? Any other suggestions for good ECU's?
The M400 is the current generation of ECU based on the M800 series. The M400 is designed for 4cyl applications, it has 4 Injector and 4 Ignition drivers, as well as 8 Auxillary outputs. The M400 is considerably more sophisticated than the older M4. The M4 Pro would suite your application fine, and will also support upto 4 ignition drivers, however 3 are shared with auxillary outputs. You would need an M48 if you wanted more outputs. There is also a significant price difference between them as I think the price of the M4 / M48 range was recently reduced. Specs can be found here: http://www.motec.com.au/ems.htm

If you want a price contact Coltspeed, they've done a number of motec installs on starions.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Wolf can run Mulit coil, Wideband O2 sensor (wolf+), Sequential injection, and a dedicated boost controler. I run a STi boost solinoid controled by the WOLF.
The wolf can also run 2 Maps, 1 stored in the computer and the other in a small cartridge thats plugs into the front, these 2 maps can be switched between whilst driving. 1 for getting to an event and the other for racing.

More importantly is the person that you are going to take it to for tuning!

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

fr335tyl3r wrote:Opinions on the M4 Motec vs the M400 Motec? And approximate price on the m4 pro? Any other suggestions for good ECU's?
Haltech E6? should be fine. Direct fire coils are available from www.mwignitions.com Both Motec and Haltech use the external GM (Delco) map sensor which comes in 2 bar or 3 bar version (and vacuum only for normally aspirated).
And as flappa said the M4 seems a fair bit cheaper than it was. EMS is ok to. It really depends on your budget. No system is going to make more power than the other it's purely what feature (data logging, inputs, outputs, functions,etc,etc) and how easy it is to tune.
The tuning part can become a "relidgous experince" so some! People will swear that this is better than that.

Some people used to say they don't like the Haltech bar graphs and that nobody else used them so their strange. Well the reason for that was nobody was allow to because it was Patented!
The early Motec's had a spreedsheet type map display which I found terrible. Why do the V8 supercars blow flames on overrun..........
Actually it's really good to have both.