Guide to MPI Conversion?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

In the standard setup I believe the way a single coil and single dizzy works is through the rotor. Ie, inside the distributor there is an object (lol dont exactly know what it is) that has contacts on each end. This object spins around powered by a motor that contacts with 2 spark leads at once firing 2 cylinders at a time off one coil and one dizzy.

I think this is right. correct me if im wrong.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Fuel wrote:Can you please describe in detail, how one distributor and one coil can fire two spark plugs at the same time.
Like I said, "correct me if I am wrong".
Which I am, now I had a read up, so Ill edit my post above. A simple 'Distributors dont run wasted spark' would of been sufficent.

I haven't looked in to distributor based ignitions in the past, as I have no plans on using it and my other car already runs coil packs.

freestyler - he is correct, the rotor only touches one point per turn. Ive updated my post, hope this helps :)
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Lol my bad :D
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

is it possible to run an xf tb on an l300 manifold, took a closer look and it does come in allot :(
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

CussCuss wrote:is it possible to run an xf tb on an l300 manifold, took a closer look and it does come in allot :(
Not easily. The passageway after the TB on the L300 manifold is smaller than the internal diamater of an XF TB. All this would need to be machined back and I think you will find you will not have enough meat left to bolt the TB to. Like the Sonata manifold, an adapter plate would still be required.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Freestyler: these are coil packs -

One coil fires cylinder 1 and 4. The other fires cylinders 2 and 3.
This is known as a wasted spark configuration.

So spark plug no.1 fires whilst that cylinder is on it's compression stroke. At the same time spark plug no.4 fires but this cylinder is on it's exhaust stroke so there is no compressed air/fuel to burn. This spark gets wasted.. hence the name wasted spark.

Same applies for cylinders 2 and 4.

To drive this system you need an ECU that has 2 ignition outputs. Most modern ECU's have this. These two ignition outputs connect to a dual ignition module. And the two drives from this ignition module connect to the coil packs.

The distributor then is just used as a sensor. You don't need the internal rotor or the vacuum advance unit since the distributor will not be firing the spark plugs. The starion distributor cannot be used here.. it does not have a reference point for the position of the crank. You'll need an optical dizzy for this.

All the ignition timing is then controlled from the ECU.

Alternatively, you can run 4 independant coils.. one for each cylinder. To do this you will need an ECU that has 4 ignition outputs and 2 dual ignition modules or 4 single ignition modules.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

bugger
ill have to see if i can find the effects or having a restriction like that.
A combination can be made with xf plenum, tb and upper runners and l300 lower runners. Or might sell it off and grab sonata goodies :x

hrm just took the tb off, its gonna have to be cut pretty far back
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

what diameter are the intercooler pipes to the TB? if they are similar in diameter to the L300 TB then don't worry about it.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

2.5", im not going to waste all the effort of making the piping flow properly only to have it crippled at the tb, so it will be done one way or another.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

CussCuss wrote:is it possible to run an xf tb on an l300 manifold, took a closer look and it does come in allot :(
I believe Chris Collier makes up something with the L300 manifold and an XF tb
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

ecu

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I am getting an ECU and I will be going to a MultiPoint Injection system. What ecu would I be best to run. I AM going Haltech. Would the E6X work with multi point?
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Post by DD Phil »

What year model L300 dizzy is required?

Will the L300 Dizzy work with a Sonata manifold?

Is a Sonata or L300 manifold better?

Phil
Purple JA, full cage, 6G72TT, collecting dust
White JA, 19x10s, GT30, Alcons, DMS, Crower 2.4, Hypertune intake, M800.....
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Incar phil.

I am not sure of the year model of my dizzy, but mine is from an l300 (contact toysrus if u wanna know what year model...he may know). I am running on a sonata manifold and if you want more information as to my choice pm me, or cooks or merlin or wantsom and we will all be more than happy to let you know the differences between the two.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Can you use the Sonata Dizzy???

OR

If you have a Cam angle sensor, Aftermarket ECU, Ignitors and Coil Packs, you don't need a dizzy???
Correct me if I'm wrong.........
1985 JB Starion #157
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Post by fr335tyl3r »

yeh that sounds right. the dizzy is only used for the cam angle sensor when you are running direct fire, so that should be fine.

correct me if im wrong.