Car wont start...help

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
StarionPWR
I like starions

Car wont start...help

Post by StarionPWR »

Could a vacuum leak cause the car to not start at all?
Ive just installed a new boost gauge and now car wont start, i wouldnt have thought even if there was a leak that it would stop the car from starting.
I T'd into a pipe that went from the manifold to the BOV which should have been ok.
any ideas?
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

what does ti do when u turn the key?
no, I dont believe a vaccum leak will stop it from starting, most likely something else u did inadvertently.
---------
TVR T350C
StarionPWR
I like starions

Post by StarionPWR »

Its like there is no spark or something like that.
Gives the odd cough like its going to start, can smell fuel so there is fuel getting to the engine.
Never had any trouble like this before with the car, it always starts first time.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Test your spark, and then go from there...
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

basically there's not much that can go wrong, as long as you're getting spark and fuel and its turning over fast enough it should start.

check spark first cause its easy, pull a lead off a spark plug, remove spark plug, reattach to lead, hold with end near block (1 or 2 mm clearance from anything thats earthed, not cam cover) turn the car over, watch for spark.

no spark, probably dizzy/ignitor/coil/all of the above have packed a sad.

fuel, pull the pipe off between the turbo and the eci unit, look in while turning over engine (use a torch if you need to) you should see fuel spraying out of the injectors, if not then it gets tricky.

if you've got fuel and spark and it still won't start then it could be something yuck like loss of compression.

if you haven't got fuel then there's a few reasons but first check fuel pump is running (intank with starion???). i'd just check there's 12V going to it for a start.

hmm, if it still won't start then give me a call in the morning (094796505) and ask for Matt, i'm on the north shore, hopefully you're close and i'll drop around and check it out

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

hell, just read through your mods. i can have a look but you probably know more than me about them considering that lot. i'd still be keen on a look :D
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
StarionPWR
I like starions

Post by StarionPWR »

Well i got spark and i got fuel and its turning over ok, so theoritically it should go.
Charged battery up over night to make sure it was fully charged in case that made a difference but still not going.
Just hope the Autronic hasnt lost its tuning maps or something silly like that. Having battery disconnected doesnt effect the ECU as i have it disconnected when its not being used.
Im heading out soon so will buy a new vacuum hose to replace the one that i tapped into and see if that line is causeing the problem.

If that dont work i might give you a call and see if you have any further ideas.
StarionPWR
I like starions

Post by StarionPWR »

Well i un-installed the boost guage and put everything back how it was and still no go.
I have spark on all plugs, fuel getting in etc but it just wont fire up.
Im totally stumped on this on eh.
Ive checked everything over that i can think of and made sure all hoses etc are on and everything seems fine.
Damn car must know it was about to get some more mods or something and shut down..haha

Matt i tried to phone you but your phone has been engaged the times i tried.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causeing it to not start?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the idea about your autronic. I know nothing of they're internals, but they may have a batter/capacitor that keeps the memory alive, maybe thats run flat and you've lost your settings?
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

sorry, been on the net a few times. tomorrow?

when you say you're getting fuel you have checked the injectors are spraying? or just that there's fuel to the injectors? maybe the boost sensor is reading high (block in one of the vacuum lines?) and is stopping the injectors firing? or something else like no signal from the distributor to the computer?

i suppose its pretty hard to check the injectors in a vr4 setup? hmmmm

i should be able to talk my mate into bringing his vr4'd ute around so we can try comparing stuff anyway.

if you can't get me on the other number tomorrow try 0212954286 (its my g/f's number but she'll be around)

cheers
Matt
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

OMG!!! :shock:

I had the exact same problem as this like only a few days ago, I was getting spark/fuel/cranking over fine coughing occasionally.
Wouldn't start for like 3 days.

Then the next day it started and was idleing fine however it would die when i boosted it, I found out that that problem was a split in my acordian hose.

However that dosen't explain the not starting thing, except i got the issue after my car sat in rain overnight, so i am thinking a possible short or somthing?? Was yours in the rain before the car wouldn't start?

Cheers
Ben
StarionPWR
I like starions

Post by StarionPWR »

Nope wasnt in the rain, it lives in the garage.
Probably some silly little problem.
ajs_starion
Lil' Dorifto

Post by ajs_starion »

its often those $2 bits that bring the car down isn't it :x
StarionPWR
I like starions

success at last

Post by StarionPWR »

Well i got the car going.
Just for the hell of it i put my racing spark plugs in and it went straight away.
I have no idea why the other plugs didnt fire it as there was spark when i checked them.
Guess its one of those weird things that happens now and then.
Just glad i finally found the problem, thanks for all your input guys.

Now i can put the boost guage back in