vr4 in me starion

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
starion84
Big Dorifto

vr4 in me starion

Post by starion84 »

hey guys heres a pic of the vr4 in my starion its finaly in there wasent that hard just had to make a few things
-gearbox adaptor plate,
-make exaust manifold,
-and new dump,
-oil and water fittings for turbo,
-make and move thermostat extension,
-move throttlebody,
-modify water fittings,
-wire up wolf and
-lots of little things, i have had it dyno tuned once and i will be going back for another tune soon but it's running pretty good so far.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/ngoodwin/rezise.JPG
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

nice, i like the modded power steering pump. Well done. looks trick.
:D
- el schmicko detailer -
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

starion84,
a really nice looking job! Make sure you post the dyno numbers. Did you do an engineering drawing of your adapter plate? If so I would love a copy so I could get a plate made as well. This is a swap I intend to do.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

adapter plate for the starion box to fit?
_

adapter plate

Post by starion84 »

yeah vr4 block to starion gearbox,
i ut a post on here a while ago with a pic, but i didnt do a engineering drawing of the plate
i used the starion plate and the vr4 one as a template to make a 6mm adaptor plate.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

looks good, damn good in fact. gives me more plans for the lancer one day (a long long long way down the track, i'm happy with one cam for the moment :D )

a couple of questions: you've still got the boost sensor in there, is that running with the wolf computer? or just not removed yet?

how hard was the wiring, was it a case of all the wires being labelled and you just attaching them to the right sensor's/injectors/what else? or a bit more hardcore than that?

did you look into using an L200 gearbox? if so any particular reason why not?

and i've been looking at a stock vr4 manifold, will they not fit in the engine bay? i've got one sitting in my garage (not for the sohc, just for interests sake and future plans) but haven't sized it up properly yet.

are you still using the stock air flow meter? or does the computer come with map sensor?

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
starion84
Big Dorifto

vr4

Post by starion84 »

yeah thanx.

i only have the original boost sensor (MAP) just so my factory boost guage would work

wiring was a bit tricky first time i have done. the wolf wires u have to read the book to know where what color goes where.

the starion gear box is stronger and if i used a l200 i probly would of had to make a crossmember and adapt the hydrolic clutch to it.
no airflow meter the wolf has an internal map sensor.
no the exaust manifold with the turbo on it wil not fit as it hits on the steering box, but the injet manifold fits fine but the throttle body i have had to turn upside down when i movied it to the front as it was hiting on the manifold.
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

cheers for the reply, now i just have to make the information come in handy :D

i'm pretty sure the L200 gearbox's use the same mounting points, and 'apparently' (or so i've heard so don't blame me if its completely and utterly wrong) you can swap starion internals into the L200 box. i'm thinking along the lines of either using cable clutch for a vr4 conversion (the carby EX lancers came out cable anyway so this would make things way easier) or i'm fairly sure that some of the L200's were hydraulic. a mate had a gearbox to one side a while back for a conversion but he crashed his ute before he went through with it and i'm not sure what became of the gearbox.

anybody know if there's a major downside to cable clutch's???? i can't really think of one as long as you keep an eye on the condition of the cable.

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Re: vr4 in me starion

Post by TD05 »

starion84 wrote:hey guys heres a pic of the vr4 in my starion its finaly in there wasent that hard just had to make a few things

http://home.iprimus.com.au/ngoodwin/rezise.JPG
awesome. I love it, I reckon God meant Starions to be this way from the beginning, trouble is the japanese are atheists :D
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
starion84
Big Dorifto

Post by starion84 »

thanx,
well when i mean "wasent that hard just had to make a few things"
that makes it sound easy but it took alot of time and mucking about but now i have done it once if i done it again it shouldn't be so bad

probly the only things that lined up were the starion engine mounts ( i still had to file them out to bring the motor foward to allow clearance for the cas,
oil cooler lines were pretty close to lining up,
and i used the starion power steering pump. ( i think most misti pumps are the same)

i am having trouble with waste gate creep at the moment so i havent put the boost up yet, now its running 8psi and creeps up to 14psi
i want to run 14psi but i dont want it to creep up to 20psi.....
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

What figures have u got off the dyno?
I have boosted up to 22 pounds with stock internals, didnt ping. (RX7 injectors)
starion84
Big Dorifto

Post by starion84 »

havent done any power figures yet just got a basic tune to start off with.
cool thats nice to know
what psi r u running now and what figures r u getting. is that on stock ignition system?
i am only running stock injectors and stock i think its td05 14b turbo
Ryanv
[L] Plates

Post by Ryanv »

good job man! :beer

pm sent
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

good job

Post by bigmoz »

it looks fkn sick man i wissh i had have done that b4 i went and spen 4g bluprinting my car.... with the 14b ou should get a big big 16g my mate who has a jap spec vr4 picked one up on a forum for 200 bucks in A1 condition, but the guy who sold it to him didnt know it was a big 16g, now his car hurts your guts when he boosts... but anyway good job

big :pimp moz
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Just bolts in.. dunnit?