not boosting???

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
goldenboy
[P] Plater austaz

not boosting???

Post by goldenboy »

hmmm on the way home from picking up the starion from the previous owner on Tuesday night, the car decided not to boost up.

The car was fine when i took it for a test drive 2 days before and halfway home it was fine, then it started making a nocking sound like i had run over something, that happend a few time after that, then it stopped coming on boost.

The car was running fine after that, it just wasnt coming on boost at all and the turbo wasnt spooling up.

Whats wrong??? has this happend to anyone else??? or is my turbo or somthing else farked???

Also I tested it as soon as I got home today just to make sure its not a one off thing and it sounds like its running fine its just not spooling up at all whenit reaches 2500 – 3000 rpms, I even went higher to see if it would still come on like 4000 – 5000 rpm and still nothing

i rang the previous owner as soon as i got home and told him what happended and he denied any knowlege of this happening to him (of couse)

anyway this has got me stumped to what it could be so anyhelp would be really appreciated, thankz
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

Well you can start by taking off the accordion hose and feel if your turbo can turn freely.

If you have to use any force to turn it or it won't turn at all then your turbo needs replacing/rebuild
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Check you haven't blown a hose and/or pipe off between the turbo and the throttle body.

Check the wastegate actuator arm has not fallen off the wastegate.

Check the wastegate is closed.

Take the airbox to turbo inlet pipe off and spin the turbo by hand. Make sure it spins freely.
goldenboy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by goldenboy »

cool thanks alot guys,

ill try it all on saturday and let you know how it went.
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
goldenboy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by goldenboy »

yeah the turbo doesnt spin freely buy hand, plus there is a dirty big hole at the back of the wastegate, shit just my luck.

oh well, means ill just have to upgrade the turbo to a t25 or t28 or maybe even a t3

thankz for your help anyways
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Hmmm

Post by WANTSOM »

And the previous owner "knew nothing" about all that. :x

Sorry to hear what happened to you but I guess the real answer as to why he was selling it is now known.

Anyway, a broken Starion always comes back as a better Starion.

Cheers
Greg
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Where is the hole?
There is a plate on there somewhere (can't remember exactly, will look at the one I have at home tonight) It may have just rattled off or something simple. Unless of course it's a hole blown through the exhaust housing or something like that.

EDIT: Just read your other post.... bugger.
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Now it's my problem dam it!!!

Post by madeofmilo »

Hey guys now I have golden boys starion...well it surges on boost pretty badly...everything is good. Hits boost of yeah nicely but then violently jolts...I know it's not the turbo 'cos he replaced it :P. Any ideas or help? PLEASE!!!
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

O2 Sensor?
Might explain why he had knocking sometimes when he first drove it also. Its also right next to the little turbo problem area. ECU could be just adjusting the fuel ratios from crazy o2 sensor values, causing a surge.

Only take a few minutes to test with a multimeter.

Just an idea.

I did think boost sensor, but my car drove alright without it, it worked for 10 minutes the entire time I owned the car.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
Fuel
Enthusiast

Post by Fuel »

SpidersWeb wrote:O2 Sensor?
Might explain why he had knocking sometimes when he first drove it also. Its also right next to the little turbo problem area. ECU could be just adjusting the fuel ratios from crazy o2 sensor values, causing a surge.

Only take a few minutes to test with a multimeter.

Just an idea.

I did think boost sensor, but my car drove alright without it, it worked for 10 minutes the entire time I owned the car.
Only JD's had an O2 sensor in australia.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Re: Now it's my problem dam it!!!

Post by ProZac »

madeofmilo wrote:Hey guys now I have golden boys starion...well it surges on boost pretty badly...everything is good. Hits boost of yeah nicely but then violently jolts...I know it's not the turbo 'cos he replaced it :P. Any ideas or help? PLEASE!!!
Sounds suspiciously like the computer protection kicking in... Maybe its boosting a bit high, or your vacum advance/retard isnt working...

checkl both.
starion84
Big Dorifto

jerking

Post by starion84 »

my ja jerked on boost when i first got it mainly under a load like going up a hill. it turned out to be the vacuum advance unit on the distributor, take the hose of it and suck on it then block it with your tounge to see if it holds vacuum.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Try a fuel filter as well. They'll tell u that they do'nt have a starion filter, but can get one in for 50 bucks, but there's a generic one for half that price that'll fit and has exactly the same internals.
Could be that it's a bit clogged and not providing enough fuel under load
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I went to Repco
Asked for a Starion fuel filter
Cost me $35, was in stock and they just looked it up, and went and grabbed one. Fitted fine.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
rxtoy
Big Dorifto

Post by rxtoy »

you probably don't want to hear about my falcon? filter i got from supercheap that 'should do the trick, its what all the drag racers ask for!' that i got for $18 then?

also you said your boost sensor was disconnected? what does this do besides shut off the fuel when boost is too high? does it adjust the injector pulse? or is it purely a fuel cutoff? if it is can you just disconnect it or do you need to change some of the wiring so she'll still run right?

cheers
Matt
project 1: 1976 TA23 Celica
project 2: 1981 EX Lancer, SOHC 4G63T conversion, heaps of turbo lancer bits, running, but fixing the diff at the moment :D