Brake upgrade

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

Debates are good, just as long as it dosen't get out of hand :)

OK.

A decision is made :)

The only thing that is Falcon is the front hub's
then using probably a Audi A8 front disc (320mm)
the this wilwood caliper

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/b ... detail.asp

custom mounting bracket
Redrilled rear hub (falcon pattern)
17 x 8 or 17 x 7.5 rims (XA - EL falcon off-set) for 225 or 235 R comp tyres

I hope it will be OK. I will be doing alot of high speed events.

MC's Motorsport sprints 2km circuit has a 580 meter straight

Barbagello raceway 2.4 km circut, 600m or 700m straight into the hardest braking point at any racetrack in oz (highest G's recorded in a V8 supercar when braking was recorded at Barbagello)

New race track being built in Bunbury, FIA spec 4.5 km race circuit

Collie race way 2km race track

At the end of the day Brakes are a safty item, and i dont like the idea off the brake pedal hitting the floor at 200kph.

Plus it looks good :D

This project is already underway. and will keep you posted as it progresses

ASHLY
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

If you get that caliper with the 1.75" pistons then you should be able to use the Nissan Patrol master cylinder and retain the correct brake effort and proportioning. Also note that Wilwood make a brake proportioning valve that is quite inexpensive.

Interesting choice of rotor. I'm suprised that you didn't go for the Honda NSX 298mm rotors. The A8 rotors are much bigger again but the Honda rotors allow you to keep the same stud pattern and you can use your existing hubs.
kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

Falcon hubs - and what about the rear end?. Would be very interested to know how this goes for you.
Keep us updated
It wasnt me, nobody saw me do it, you cant proove a thing
dirtysanchez

Post by dirtysanchez »

I do agree with MRB1 that the stock brakes are quite good and can be made to work quite well with the backing plates removed/good pads and would recommend that people do this first before they think about new brakes.

My stock brakes didn't seem so bad until I started to up the power output, I now run a SR20DET and while it might not be a Mitsu motor is sure goes well. Last time I had it dynoed it had 135rwkw in near stock trim, with a good spread of power. I now have after market computer, turbo etc to fit and hope to get about 180rwkw - will post the dyno sheet once it is done and hope do some quarter miles out of interest.

I am very hard on brakes also, think it comes from riding a CBR900RR which has outstanding brakes.
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I hope the master cylinder will be OK, but if it's not it's good to know that the Patrol master cylinder will fit. The A8 rotor is not confimed yet but it's looking more the likely. I will have to look into the proportioning valve, that sounds interesting. I also got a bit more of a discount on the calipers now $660.00 :)

The reason why i am going for the Falcon hub is so i can get away from the 4 stud setup. I just fitted the falcon hub, it goes straight on, even the bearing kit is the same. :) I then slid on a EF Falcon rim and the off set is spot on, with a 17 x 8 the scub angle will be perfect :) The choice of rims is now alot larger.

The rear is currently being re-drilled to falcon stud pattern, this will cost about $200.00.

The SR20DET is a good motor, they seam to get alot of power out of them. What computer did you get?
One of my mates has a ZX6, so i know how you feel about good brakes on bikes. The only thing that scares me is the front tyre locking up
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine