Stereo installation - ideas

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

you will find that alot of performance magazines and in car audio publications will now and again have a tech article on how to build door pods. I think i have some relevant articles in a old Hot 4's or In Car Audio publication, i'll try and dig them out. Might have some other ideas and designs there.
:D
- el schmicko detailer -
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

ProZac wrote:No, just NO.

Cheaper dosent always mean better man :/
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense, especially if there are gaps for the speakers behind the door trim.. most Starions came with it standard, so why shouldn't I put them in? I promise it won't look bad :)
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

NNNNNOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :o :o :o

dont do it.........
oz, here i come....
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

But I'll probably do much more damage trying to replace the dash speakers. I realise I would be desecrating an international treasure, but the stock speakers are awful!

Find me some suitable replacement black door trim and I'll buy it! :D
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

re-trim the ones in your narrowbody......

mind you, if your gonna keep your widebody for ever, (and who wouldnt) then it dosnt treally matter what you do to it.

if you were gonna sell it at a later date (call me) then it would pay to keep it original...
oz, here i come....
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

take your door trim off and take it to a trimmers and get them to make some custom door trims that have the original look with the upgraded speakers intergrated into them. i've seen it done stealthy so you can't even tell they are there. Just the funky looking speaker mesh, that can be colour coded to the material on the door trim.
Great sound with the original looks of the stazz.
Nothing better.
- el schmicko detailer -
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Defective wrote:re-trim the ones in your narrowbody.....
Nah I've got a buyer, I'm pretty sure he wants the trim. They don't match up anyway, widebody has window controls in the doors :(
Defective wrote: mind you, if your gonna keep your widebody for ever, (and who wouldnt) then it dosnt treally matter what you do to it.

if you were gonna sell it at a later date (call me) then it would pay to keep it original...
I'm sure that any (heaven forbid) future buyer would want a better stereo than the stock one too.. when I'm done you'd think the door speakers were stock anyway. But MelbStazz has a great idea:
MelbStazz wrote:take your door trim off and take it to a trimmers and get them to make some custom door trims that have the original look with the upgraded speakers intergrated into them. i've seen it done stealthy so you can't even tell they are there. Just the funky looking speaker mesh, that can be colour coded to the material on the door trim.
Great sound with the original looks of the stazz.
Nothing better.
Any idea how much that would cost?
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

i guess it varies on the trimmer. You can shop around and ask to see some photo's of jobs that they have done or even go for a walk throught the workshop to see the quality of work that's done.
I know a motor trimmer that trims porsche, ferrari, bmw and other exotics, if they can trust him to trim up and interior then i think i can with my stazz..
:wink:
though it does pay to shop around.
best of luck, i would budget around $200+ for both doors to be done.
Thats a guestimate though.
- el schmicko detailer -
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Mine came with speakers already installed in doors, so I also didn't have a choice! But as was said before, the original trims were installed pre-ice era! You just can't live without a decent setup, so the logical area to place new speakers is in door! Mine look fine anywayz! I am also going to make mods to my rear parcel shelf too! I will replace the entire shelf with a stronger mdf board, cut holes to fit 6x9's either side, cover the entire board with speaker trim, and fix the amp to the underside of board! I will have to rig up some sort of device for feeding the extra couple of inches of power and source wires when the boot is open, but the speaker wire will be minimal as they are right next to the amp! What do you guys think? I know it will reduce the boot capacity, but you get that on the big jobs!
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

lol, boot capacity and starions are like a contradiction in terms...

even worse if you have a full size spare :x

but at least the back seat can hold a fair bit of crap.
oz, here i come....
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Defective wrote:but at least the back seat can hold a fair bit of crap.
.. as long as you keep a rug or something in the back to protect the leather :)
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

hmmm, i didnt think the back seats were real leather?
---------
TVR T350C
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

tmz_99 wrote:hmmm, i didnt think the back seats were real leather?
yep, mines real imatation leather :D :D :D
oz, here i come....
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

tmz_99 wrote:hmmm, i didnt think the back seats were real leather?
Mine are.. the bits on the side might not be, but the part you sit on definitely is. Is that unusual?