lowering

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

does anyone know what the standard springs are ummm in poundage (is that even a word?) ie 300lb springs or woteva....

they must have reasonably stiff springs as standard, so im picking aftermarket ones just use heavier springs to try and stop the shock from bottoming out more often?

:? :?
oz, here i come....
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

You could probably get lower, but I'd advise against it, particularly if you are planning on running 15's with low profile tyres. As it is with 15's and 50 series rubber, some speed bumps can be challenging.
As for the flatness, well each to their own, but I specifically had the springs at the front made lower to give it more front bias because I think it's looks better than flat, and it helps A LOT with braking and understeer.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Here's another shot.
The difference between stock and lowered...

Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I've read in a lot of places that the optimum ride height is when the lower control arms are about parallel to the ground. I had a quick look under the back of the Starion and found that the lower control arms are slightly curved - so how do I judge when the control arm is in a good rest position? Do I look at the relationship between the outer and inner pivot points?

I'm sure there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration too, so has anyone worked out the optimum ride height for handling with regard to roll centres, centre of mass and suspension travel with the limitations of the adjustment of the factory suspension locating points. ie. without the aid of new strut tops, extra camber adjustment etc. ?
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

I have driven Jason's (NachoMan) car many times and i think it is one of the best handling setups i have ever driven. The Ride height is pretty well spot on for minimal understeer, u turn the corner and u hardly even feel the car roll or slide.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

i have the same wheels as that red staz on the right now! got them from a 180 for my full inspection :(
_

Post by NachoMan »

Deeks,
the one on the right is mine :roll:
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

we can be brothers :D

untill i get off defect chuck me FRs back on and look down on you all! mhwoahahahaha :twisted: oops, did i think that? or say that out loud?
_