Stereo installation - ideas

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Stereo installation - ideas

Post by jrod82 »

My new staz doesn't have speakers in the doors, and I don't really want to cut the black beauties to bits to fit one, so what options does that leave me with? I know it's a real bitch to get to the speakers in the dash - especially the drivers side ones - so I would like to avoid that if at all possible, but that doesn't really leave me many options.

My idea for this car was to leave the stock stereo in there and to install an amp somewhere and directly connect that to my ipod, but it would defeat the purpose if I couldnt get any good speakers in there. I am by no means an audiophile, but I know that the stock speakers are awful, and I want better ones in there :)
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

what about taking out your factory kickpanels, putting them in the cupboard and making some custom panels to put in there...

you should be able to fit a decent speaker in there...
oz, here i come....
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

As much as it seems barbaric cutting holes in nice door trim, if your putting speakers in the nicely cut holes you wont feel so bad any more. My car had holes cut into them before i got it, so i didnt have to make the decision, but i like where my speakers are and it doesnt detract from the door trim at all...
I flush mounted the tweeter making it dritectional (i can point in any direction).

Have fun

Steve.
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Paradoxx: there is no way I'm putting a knife to my door :)
Defective wrote:what about taking out your factory kickpanels, putting them in the cupboard and making some custom panels to put in there...

you should be able to fit a decent speaker in there...
Is there much room behind there for the magnet to sit? Thats a pretty good idea, and since the carpet is black as the ace of spades it won't be too difficult to match it.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

umm, iv never actually pulled them off so i wouldnt have a clue how much room is in there... but thats the beauty of custom ones, just build it out a bit so there is room...

and even though i dont know you, if you follow paradoxx's advice and chop holes in your trims i'l personally come up to wellington and slap you...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
oz, here i come....
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

No need for hostility mate, we're all friends here...

:beer
StarionBoy
i need to paint my car!

Post by StarionBoy »

isnt the computer behind the kick panel on the passanger side?? i guess you would just have to move it if you went for that option
If you lend someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably well spent. Image
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

The holes in Steve's (Paradoxx) car were already there!!!!!!!!
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

ummmm, it was a joke guys.... :wtf:
oz, here i come....
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

I saw AXELR8 put 6x9's in his doors. I did the same. U need those wooden spacers that you can pick up from most car audio shops. If you dont have these it quite awkward to mount speaker flushly. He removed the carpet pocket and painted his spacer black. I left the carpet and trimmed the spacers in black vinyl.

NOTE! You will need some BIG ASS screws approx 65mm long from memory.
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

GADGET: I have 6x9s in the doors of my narrowbody, but the widebody is too precious to cut up like that.

I'm going to explore the kick panel idea, but I'm thinking that will get in the way of the accelerator on the drivers side, and possibly muffle the sound?

Has anyone managed to replace both dash speakers and are happy with the result? What is the size of the one on the drivers side?
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

what about getting replacement door trims? that way you can save those nice original ones... rip the ones out of your narrowbody, re-trim them in black vinyl and bobs your uncle nice trims that you wont mind chopping holes in...
oz, here i come....
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

That's a very good idea, if you have the time and patience you can make them a custom pod with custom trim. If you do that you can mould a door pod into the place you want it and have it so it looks like it's meant to be there.
I wanted to do this when i had my laser cos the panel was dead flat and easy to modify, but i didnt really have the time or patience. Plus it turns out i was soon to purchase a staz so it didnt matter
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

Defective wrote:what about getting replacement door trims? that way you can save those nice original ones... rip the ones out of your narrowbody, re-trim them in black vinyl and bobs your uncle nice trims that you wont mind chopping holes in...
Defective wins!
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

I found this page - http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?b ... 1038581308 - on the SQC forums about replacing the dash speakers - sounds WAY too difficult. I'm definitely going to chase up someone with spare trim.

Is the above trim the same as any trim with window controls in the doors?

Does this trim come apart in 2 pieces like the JA trim?

Since the doors don't have speakers in them, will there still be holes to fit speakers behind the trim?

Since the Springboks nearly beat the All Blacks, how much of a hiding will the Wallabies get next week? rofl