Turbo & Manifold Q's

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
goldenboy
[P] Plater austaz

Turbo & Manifold Q's

Post by goldenboy »

After Taking the turbo and manifold off today i can now confirm that both are farked. The turbo has a small hole at the ass end near the waste gate arm thingy sits and the compressor wheel wont turn without force, and the manifold has a nice big crack though the centre off it.

My Current options are to get the turbo rebuilt and manifold repaired or get a new one.

Or to get a different turbo (Im thinking garrett t25 or t28) and get a custom manifold made up.

i think i might do the second option but do i have to.

A: Run an intercooler as the turbo will not be water cooled??

B: Will this setup effect the way the standard EMS runs will i need to get an after market EMS to run a different turbo???

Thats all i can think of now
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
David
I like starions more

Turbo Answers

Post by David »

a) Intercooling affects the Inlet temp, not the turbo temp. You don't have to get a watercooled turbo. Whether or not you use watercooling depengs on your choice of turbo.

b) EMS is independant of Turbo choice. Make sure your wastegate is chosen correctly though.

You may want to get a cheap second-hand TC series turbo as an alternative. You can weld up a cracked manifold, but it may crack again. I had this done to mine, and no further problems. YMMV.

Regards
David
Barney
Scorpion King

Post by Barney »

I ran a T28 water cooled with the factory EMS for about a year.
no probs :)
Get Stroked! 2.3ltr EVO engine
Cam
c'mon change my thingy

Post by Cam »

Im currently getting everyting made up to bolt a T3 on my car as my TC-06 is rooted beyond rooted.
im basically getting a adapter plate made up to adapt the current manifold to the new turbo then its basically changing the exhaust to suit and running water lines because the turbo is water cooled. new braided oil lines and thats all. So far this has cost me nothing. including the turbo
'Look Daddy I'm A Farmer'
goldenboy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by goldenboy »

cool thankz guys, im in the market now for a new turbo & im ganna get a custom manifold made up, cause i dont wanna get a stock one and have it crack on me agian aparently they crack easy, same with the cordia ones.
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
goldenboy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by goldenboy »

i just got my new turbo today,

TC06 Rebuilt 5000ks ago Hi Flowed and Power Ported (Came of a 2lt Cordia)

Now im Going to get a Custom Manifold Made up,

Only thing i think its not going to line up with the crossover pipe between the Turbo and Throttle body, How do i fix this???

thankz
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

someone used some flexable metal piping for a custom crossover pipe. could be good untill u intercool it.
_

Post by goldenboy »

no i meant to say the that the turbo compressor part is facing down towards the manifold and need to be bought up to line up with the xover pipe.

Its the same turbo just was moved to fit a cordia, how to i move it back???
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

All you need to do is loosen the compressor housing and rotate it. I can't remember how it's held in place, it's either a big circlip or a big clamp. It can take quite a bit of force to turn, spray heaps of WD40 on it and let it sit for a couple of hours first.
goldenboy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by goldenboy »

sweet thankz man,

I just noticed its a TC06 11 and the Starion one is a TC06 11A, but there shouldnt be any differences bettween the 2???
LIVE LIFE SIDEWAYZ
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

I really don't know if there are any differences. There's plenty of people who have run non-standard turbos on their starions while running the standard engine management.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

the A probably means it fits a starion :P

:roll:
_