External Wastegate Issues

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
aym23q
Newcomer

External Wastegate Issues

Post by aym23q »

HI all

I got a 42mm Garrett External Wastegate that i will be using for my draw through carby turbo. Running a TC06.

This wastegate is a DUAL PORT wastegate. This means that it has 2 ports -

One on the side to push the wastegate open (push against the spring). This i believe is to be connected to the inlet manifold to wastegate actuator.

The other right at the top of the gate, (this port helps push WITH the spring, hance raise opening pressure for wastegate - to be used when using an EBC).
in my case i wont be using this top port.

Now, i tested the wastegate by applying presure from a compressor to open the gate using the side port. Fair enuf it works. but when i apply pressure, air comes out from the top port..

is this supposed to happen???

now i believe this could be dangerous as when running on a draw through setup, this air comming out from the top wont be just Air...

IT WOULD BE AIR AND FUEL MIX!!!!

sounds dangerous to me...

now is my gate stuffed?? or should i just plumb the volitile mix comming from the top of the gate back to the carby inlet..???
HELP PLEASEEEEEE>>>>

thanks
David
I like starions more

Just curious

Post by David »

I was just wondering why you aren't using the TC06 internal wastegate?

It's a pretty big turbo, and has a decent wastegate. You can shim the rear of the turbo, and expand the wastegate capacity. Then you can use a mechanical wastegate actuator.

It would simplify your exhaust requirements also.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the wastegate your using, or with suck-through systems, so I'm not really able to offer suggestions... Coltspeed would be a good place to start asking... Especially since what you're doind can be dangerous.

(02) 9807 3830 - speak to Ron. Saturdays seem to be his favourite. If you're lucky, he might even see your thread and offer some advice.

Regards
David
starion4me
I've been here before

wastegate

Post by starion4me »

Hi,

Im using a 45 mm tial external wastegate and from what i have read the side port connects to a line fed from the intercooling pipe going to the the compressor wheel on the turbo. You can use the inlet manifold (will have to since im assuming carby has no allowance for intercooler) but supposedly more accurate and faster having the line as short as posible. And your right in saying that the top port is used for a boost controller. If you let this vent to atmosphere then boost will be regulated via the internal spring rate.
Hopefully somebody can be more helpful that knows more about carby setups.

c u
Jas
www.starion.webhop.net
aym23q
Newcomer

Post by aym23q »

i can run the wastegate line from the inlet, or the nipple on the turbo housing.
i think the wastegate's diaphram is stuffed.

any idea how much it would cost t fix a wastegtae?