I think iv killed it....no, it lives still!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Defective
Enthusiast

I think iv killed it....no, it lives still!

Post by Defective »

umm yeah...

i got a little carried away this afternoon in the wet and my staz' got a pretty big rev, i think about 7500-8000rpm, any way now its not happy at all, its got about 5% of its power, it takes quite a few cranks of the starter before it starts (before it started almost instantly) and when it does start it idle roughly but not too bad and if i rev it it sounds like its only running on a couple of cylinders... also blowing a lot of black smoke... and when i take my foot off the gas after a rev it dies, it wont idle unless i bring the revs down slowly....

im thinking a possible blown head gasket or cracked head? it was raining too hard and too cold to see if radiator had signs of exhaust gases geting in, i checked under the oil cap for hokeypokey like residue, but it just had the usual crap on it...

motor was already a bit tired, it was blowing blue smoke under boost so i guess it was only a matter of time...
Last edited by Defective on Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oz, here i come....
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

black smoke

Post by pajeroturbo »

black smoke is not from a gasket problem check your map sensor or your hose that is going to the map for leaking.it seams you have for some reason too much fuel runningto your motor.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

mmm, mite be worth a look, cheers.

also the car has always run pretty rich, i just put it down to the blow off valve... maybe it wasnt
oz, here i come....
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

I agree, it doesnt sound like a blown gasket, black smoke is too much fuel. Check all the hoses etc,
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

not that black smoke is a real indication of this, buit if youre revving that high you may have bent a valve
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Don't starions have a rev limiter on the stock computer? If so, how did you over rev it?
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

I'm pretty sure they have a limiter but its not far off that... may be something simple like a vacuum hose has come off, look (listen) for air leaks if u can, check for spooge under the oil cap (whiteish milky stuff). It may have also thrown the timing out... check it with a timing light. You'd know if you bent a valve... it would make real nasty noises.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Rev

Post by Starion VR4 »

Hey Defective, put a compression test and leak down test on it, i suspect you have broken a few rings, run engine and remove oil filler cap, there will b a reasonable bit of pressure comming out, not heaps. Let me know what you find :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

thanks for the help guys...

i dropped it off at the mechanics this morning and well... its embarrasing really...

turns out when it got the big rev it probably over boosted and blew one of the vacuum lines off... so 15 min labour later ($14) my car is ready for another caning....

oh, and i was only estimating how many revs it pulled cos my steering wheel blocks the speedo from about 30mph up and pretty much the whole rev counter...so... what you cant see you dont worry about!

:beer :beer :beer :beer
oz, here i come....
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

yes, :) , I love it when you give it some and then it sounds like something really serious broke only to find out that a lil' hose came off... Good one..
strong motor the 4G63

good on ya :beer
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

hahah, yeah, did a similar thing when a lead came off the dizzy, throught the worst until i popped the bonnet.
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

dirty sanchez wrote:Don't starions have a rev limiter on the stock computer? If so, how did you over rev it?
Started a thread about this ages ago, nope... no limiter.
gordonspec® racing
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

I agree, no limiter.

There is a boost cut however, as I have recently found out...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ive been a naughty boy in an attempt to blow up my engine, i snipped the yellow wire and upped the boost. Its fast-ish now, and still seems to run alright... I wonder how long it'll last....
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

ProZac wrote:Ive been a naughty boy in an attempt to blow up my engine, i snipped the yellow wire and upped the boost. Its fast-ish now, and still seems to run alright... I wonder how long it'll last....
Why do you want to blow it up? Have you got some sort of replacement handy?