This Weeks Rant!

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Guru: those are some excellent suggestions, but unfortunatly just arent practical if you want to stay in business. Ive done stints as a techie aswell, and in sales. People want a computer, they want to take it home now, and they want to know how to use it, because computers are cool and modern, right? There were 3 other computer stores within 10 mins from the one i worked at, so offering aything other than a "ill kiss your ass because your a customer" policy was death to business.

I built a system for one fellow, he called the next day complaining that it wouldnt switch on anymore, he tried, heard a pop and saw a little smoke. Im betting you can all guess what he'd done. I took it back, replaced the PSU, covered the 110/230 switch with a DO NOT TOUCH sticker and sent it back out to him. He then got the thing so infested with spyware the only option was a full re-install, so it came back, and guess what was missing from the back of the computer!? My nicely prepared DO NO TOUCH sticker. Freaking moron.
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Hey Gav as the sign says:

"please don't ask as a get fucked often offends" :D
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

ProZac wrote:Guru: those are some excellent suggestions, but unfortunatly just arent practical if you want to stay in business. Ive done stints as a techie aswell, and in sales. People want a computer, they want to take it home now, and they want to know how to use it, because computers are cool and modern, right? There were 3 other computer stores within 10 mins from the one i worked at, so offering aything other than a "ill kiss your ass because your a customer" policy was death to business.

I built a system for one fellow, he called the next day complaining that it wouldnt switch on anymore, he tried, heard a pop and saw a little smoke. Im betting you can all guess what he'd done. I took it back, replaced the PSU, covered the 110/230 switch with a DO NOT TOUCH sticker and sent it back out to him. He then got the thing so infested with spyware the only option was a full re-install, so it came back, and guess what was missing from the back of the computer!? My nicely prepared DO NO TOUCH sticker. Freaking moron.
Yes people like that are morons, but if they are a mornon then they should certainly pay for their inability to think clearly. If you find that customers offer you trouble and dont like paying as much as youre asking then you are obviously looking in the wrong place for your customers.
I agree with gurus general philospohies.
---------
TVR T350C
StarionChef
Creme Brulé

Post by StarionChef »

computers suck!
Ford G6ET 458wkws
Guru
Lil' Dorifto

Prozac

Post by Guru »

Definately get some signs made up... they become quite ecomonical if you buy them in bulk.

I can only assume that these people that are giving you trouble are the exception to the rule otherwise the business will die a horrible death if this is the kind of customer you attract.

I don't sell hardware on a regular basis (make that about 1 PC per week) because, as far as I'm concerned, there's no money in it. My "philosophy" however works quite well and has helped build my business. I do bugger all warranty work and I get a pile of referrals from happy customers. Whereas, I imagine, it'd be quite the opposite for you... bad news travels fast.

Also, I learnt long ago not to try to educate these people because there's always another moron ready to replace them.
fr335tyl3r
I'm Sorta Reformed!

Re: How to handle customers

Post by fr335tyl3r »

Guru wrote: - Install the latest and greater antivirus, don't ask... just do it and add it to the cost of the PC
^^ The above is already done as well as norton internet security. Nicely most customers choose to disable this for wateva reason even though it does not affect their internet connection as we set it up properly.
Guru wrote: - Setup their internet connection for them (including enabling their firewall and adjusting the IE Advanced options to limit parasite and spy-ware intrusions onto the PC).
^^ Again all the modem settings are done and spyware protection is installed, but as sum1 else mentioned its realli hard to do this as ppl want the machines asap. We have a system at work in which we build a machine in 15 minutes and have it fully tested within an hr...configuration would take extra time and ppl complain black and blue for us taking even an hr to do their machines.
Guru wrote: And get them to sign a waiver if they insist of doing it themselves.
^^ Again the company i work for is called DIY computers suggesting that our custoemrs are more inclined to do things themselves...especially software installs, most likely is that we do the hardware and tey install the OS and everything else themselves to save construction time.

Good suggestions but as someone else said i dont think it would work, especially within the DIY style computer construction. Thanks for the ideas tho :)
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

when we bought my first comp it kep crashing (blue screen of death) with vxd errors. take it back and the 10th time after formats, hardware replacements etc, he realises he didn't load the motherboard drivers on :S i didn't know crap about comps then but i'm guessing neither did that 'technician'... they've gone bust now so i guess word does get around. I hope you can do somthing before the customers really do beleive its you and not them making the mistakes because it could end up bad :(
_

Post by fr335tyl3r »

nah im not too phased because the pay is shithouse and they work me too hard for how much they pay me...ide rather just live off my uni scholarship frankly.

just a bit of extra spending money comes in handy wit hthe staz around.

Its only been like 2 customers with major problems with this stuff...the others are all smart ppl and learn if they have a bad experience and are smart enuf to call me first and see if i can solve the problem over the phone which is a realli simple matter.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

ah cool, then these 2 customer with major problems... SLAP 'EM UP!
_

Post by fr335tyl3r »

yeh when the girl that cmae in yelling at me came back a second time the manager was ready and came out and had a go back at her for insulting his staff...she insisted that we test her machine all day because she had a "shaky monitor" and yet she didnt bring the monitor in as she beieved she kenw about computers and it must have been the pc itself.

arg customers like that just ruin wat was a great day...lol