ProZac's 1982 Starion - Now with added 86!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

agree with woody on this one - IFF you sort out the air dam side gap issue!
:D
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Will be very very high up the list of things to do once It's running, which will hopeully be in the not too distant future. Hope to get a big chunk of work done on the intake manifold tomorrow.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Damn, that is sex on wheels right there!
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Slight mis-calculation today.... Bunnings, Mitre-10 and Placemakers are all closed, so no metal cutting jig-saw blades for me! Still made some progress on the manifold. Need the blades to cut the plates for either side.

Would have been easier to cut the doughnut sections with a jig-saw, but I made an okay job of it with the angle grinder.

Now that I can really look at it, it's apparent that the runners can be a good 40mm shorter and still leave clearance for the distributor, that puts them here:

Which looks much much better. Will shorten them at Dad's work this evening to fit the base plate properly. It's coming together though.

After this is done, that's the end of the fun stuff, as I'll have to figure out something for the water piping / thermostat housing.... Not 100% sure what to do there yet, but will figure something out :)
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Zac you are a man of many talents :D :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah that manifold design looks very well thought out - bravo!!
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Cheers guys, plenty of thought has gone into it, but no math... So will be very interesting to see how it actually works!

Having heaps of fun playing with this car, I'm trying to not let myself get caught up in the downward spiral of 'must be the absolute last degree of best it can be...', but then actually going nowhere because you spend all your time on the internet reading crap and changing your mind all the time. I just wanna drive this thing!
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

ProZac wrote:Cheers guys, plenty of thought has gone into it, but no math... So will be very interesting to see how it actually works!

Having heaps of fun playing with this car, I'm trying to not let myself get caught up in the downward spiral of 'must be the absolute last degree of best it can be...', but then actually going nowhere because you spend all your time on the internet reading crap and changing your mind all the time. I just wanna drive this thing!
Haha know that feeling!
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Lunacy wrote:
ProZac wrote:Cheers guys, plenty of thought has gone into it, but no math... So will be very interesting to see how it actually works!

Haha know that feeling!
Agreed. Its very easy to loose sight of the end goal. I did a few times....
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Runners looking good, but very long... If tuned @ 3rd pulse the tuning rpm is going to be very low.
How long are the runners (from opening) all the way to the valve?

Edit:
Sorry, meant that 3rd harmonic is stronger and may be the best to tune at.
Should be 4th written above! My misstake.
4th pulse at 4000rpm = 412mm
5000rpm=330mm

3rd:
6000rpm=349mm
7000=299mm
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

JAS wrote:
Lunacy wrote:

Haha know that feeling!
Agreed. Its very easy to loose sight of the end goal. I did a few times....
I lose sight of it on a daily basis :)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Part of building the new engine loom for the evo V ecu involved tidying up the front body loom. I recently bought the mitsubishi workshop manuals for 86 australian, european and geenral export starions, including the wiring supplement. Armed with this information, I stripped all the insulation off the body loom from the driver side guard grommet forward, and re-routed things to make it a bit neater. Only had to adjust the length of a couple of wires.

I'm moving the alternator to the other side of the engine, so I ran new wires for the feed to the drivers side sub fusible links, and the main relay box. Battery is going in the boot now too, as I need the space it used to occupy for the intercooler piping. Ran some nice double insulated 35mm^2 cable, which I'll get a friend to crimp some nice terminals onto at some stage over the next week.

A bit tidier than factory. I'm going to leave it mostly un-insulated for the moment until it's running, so if I need to make any adjustments it wont be as time-consuming.

I tried to minimise the number of branches coming out of the main loom. The factory setup has stuff coming out of it at heaps of places, looks a bit mank.

Plugs I dont need: A/C condensor fan, A/C high pressure switch, and vacuum pump for the speed control system.

Another plug I dont need, the factory radiator fan and thermoswitch. Might end up using it however, having the ECU control one of the fans, and the other hooked up directly to a thermoswitch in the radiator as a backup? Nah, probably overkill.

Will get some more welding done on my intake manifold this afternoon, as the weather is turning crappy now, so best to be working inside. Ive hopefully sorted some storage for the black car, so I can get the red car in the garage sometime in the next month.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Hey mate i suppose you would have one of these spare, i'm chasing an air intake temp sensor that sits on the crossover pipe on the rocker cover from a factory intercooled starion :)

ps i see a red starion pulled well apart, are you planning on doing all your custom work to this one now? whats the plans for the black one?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

Are you making a new loom for the MPI/Evo ECU or are you butchering an old Evo loom?
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Just caught up on 5 pages here. Man, you have bitten off big...assumed the red car was a runner hence you buying it but maybe I was wrong. Nonetheless some great design & engineering going into your machines. Keep on kicking!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.