car feels unstable, steering wanders etc

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
seb
Big Dorifto

car feels unstable, steering wanders etc

Post by seb »

Hi all, have an 87 narrowbody starion
I have fitted to it starion wb rims all round, with 205/50/16 up front and 225/50/16 rear.
Now the problem is, the car feels unstable at higher speed, i.e from 50/60mph up etc, car tends to wander all over the road as if the steering is loose? and under braking pulls quite badly at times. Now my question is, is this likely to be down to the wheels fitted, or is there something i'm missing with the steering?? Tracking has been checked out ok, and i dont think i can see anything loose ie track rod ends. Thanks guys
T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

Hi seb, I take it the cars bottom ball joints, track rod ends and the power steering wheel box was checked for play? If everything's all good then I can only suggest its a caratristic of the wide wheels. I had a vectra gsi and up graded to 19" snowflakes and it tram lined like a muther fu## er! Hope this helps!

T-man
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

10 bucks you put on the wb rims and 2nd hand tyres. 2nd hand tyres on the front can have camber wear and effect steering. I'm guilty of that one.

If the tyres are new get a wheel alignment. That should be 90% of your problem.

Cheap and easy fix (hopefully). If not then look at the items listed in the thread above.

Good luck

:beer
1985 JB Starion #157
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

If it's only happened after putting on the wb wheels, it would be your tyres are out of balance. Try swapping the wheels front to rear as it costs nothing to do to see if the problem occurs.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

I think you need to look at the DRAG LINK at the steering box.... this is a common problem....unfortunately the TIErod at the steering box isn't replaceable & its a major pain to fix... I'm will to bet this is 90% of your problem... :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
seb
Big Dorifto

Post by seb »

Thanks guys. forgot to add they are the wb rears all round ie 8j et-10. Tyres were basically new when bought, the inner edges are now gone though, i know there is play in the steering box, but most the slack was taken up by turning in the adjustment screw, i check through all balljoints etc and this draglink, cheers
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Check your wheel alignment, sounds like you have too much toe out, which is why your inner edges of your tyres are gone.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

RiceThief wrote:Check your wheel alignment, sounds like you have too much toe out, which is why your inner edges of your tyres are gone.
IMHO
Bao/RT is spot on PROVIDED you are not running heaps of neg camber or ir can be a bit of both so you need to ensure all ball joints bushes are spot on THEN get it aligned by a reputable workshop.
IF the wear is due to excess toe out there should be feathering of the tread.Camber should not lead to feathering at all.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Drag link will cause wandering at high speed, but so will having a massive track width increase up front!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au