ProZac's 1982 Starion - Now with added 86!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

There are RVRs with the system on the front, built in with the intake cam gear. However, I wonder if you can install an adjustable cam gear with that setup
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

thrash wrote:There are RVRs with the system on the front, built in with the intake cam gear. However, I wonder if you can install an adjustable cam gear with that setup
I beleive this is why no one uses the front cam gear angle sensor cause you cant run adjustable cam gears - if you could why would any of us bother with the rear CAS?
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
dwlee
[P] Plates

Post by dwlee »

Below is a photo of a rvr front cam angle sensor. These came on the 95/96 turbo models and are 7bolt engines. The crank angle sensor is separate. There are adjustable cam gears that work with this cam angle sensor such as the AEM Tru-Time 23-830bk see
http://www.aemelectronics.com/tru-time- ... 9-1999-117 where you can see the mounting holes for trigger disk. What you can't see is that the trigger wheel is fixed relative to the cam gear.

ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Yeah, same setup as similar era DSM's over in the US. No provisions on a 6-bolt motors' oilpump/front timing plate for the crank sensor though.

Wouldnt be hard to make something up, or use a kiggly racing 6-bolt crank trigger setup, with that RVR / DSM cam sensor...

But nah, at $50 and just a bit of time to get a trigger wheel made, much cheaper option :).

Might look into that setup if I eventually go twin-cam though.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

ProZac wrote: But nah, at $50 and just a bit of time to get a trigger wheel made, much cheaper option :).
Interested how this goes as it may be something I will do in the future, for some reason I like to idea of sticking the SOHC head!
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I made up a mount for the injector ballast resistors. Flow tested the injectors too, and they came out at bang on 560cc/min. Spray pattern was not perfect, but its a single cam, so probably wont make much difference.

My turbo bits showed up. New evo 3 7cm^2 turbine housing, and a TD06 16g compressor housing. I was going to use the TC06 compressor housing I had, but having it machined out to fit the 16g wheel was more expensive than a new housing... So that made it an easy decision. Just switching to a bigger housing wont have much effect on performance or spool. Plus, its a 3" intake, so makes the intake piping easier and tidier :).

Oh, and it looks fricken awesome :). I have to adjust that end of my intercooler piping though, but no biggie.

ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Lasereyes.

Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Turbo looks mint mate :) Should get her going nicely!
popup

Post by popup »

So the Galant/L300 SOHC MPI optical dizzy had a 4-1 trigger wheel. The camshaft CAS uses 4-2. Could you cut the extra window to the optical wheel inside an optical dizzy like below? You can see the crude window added at about 7 o'clock.

ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Yup, that would definitely work, but for the price of having one laser cut, may as well just go that route. That picture is super handy though man, as it shows the sensor positions in relation to the trigger wheel very clearly. Can you take those sensors apart without buggering them?
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Looking good Zac. Love the attention to detail, little tags welded to piping etc.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

man i would love to see this build in person again. Looks tops and so much stuff going on

87 Starion EX
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Swing me a text anytime Perrin, always been to talk some starion shit :)
popup

Post by popup »

ProZac wrote:That picture is super handy though man, as it shows the sensor positions in relation to the trigger wheel very clearly. Can you take those sensors apart without buggering them?
No, I think the wires are soldered from the top half through the sensor body. So I guess one was destroyed for this picture, which I found off the internet.

Here are the originals (sorry if I am spamming your thread, this could be moved somewhere else!)

Clockwise Galant/L300 SOHC Dizzy 4-1

Anti/Counterclockwise DSM CAS 4-2

Image[/img]
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Nah, man, this isnt spam, its good info! Cheers!

Couldn't swing a link to where you found those pictures could you?

Very very interesting, looks like the sensor positions in relation to their black plastic housing are the same for the dizzy sensor and the CAS sensor, which makes sense I suppose, and makes things easier.

Your picture above of the SOHC dizzy disc with the photoshopped window is pretty much exactly what I need. I'll scope the output of the CAS, with the 4-1 Dizzy disc installed, running anti-clickwise, and if the angle of the larger cam sync pulse is correct, that that will confirm the sensors being in the same place.

That would make the design of the trigger wheel really really easy! Just copy the shape of smaller cam sync window from the CAS wheel, and plonk it on the Dizzy disc with it's leading edge 180 degrees offset from the leading edge of the larger cam sync pulse, just like your picture :).