D2 Coilover Installations

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Good to see that their are many more engineers listed than a few months ago
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Adriano wrote:As far as engineering is concerned, you cant weld to the cast area of the hub, wheras welding to the tube is fine. Just dont use a stick welder.
according to the instructions that came in the box, it says the following:

"Please make sure 100% to weld the hub and the tube completely. You have to wel our tube and hub. (Please do not weld out tube and OE shock holder) You have to carry out this step definately, if doesn't, it will cause the front camber degrees are not correct or dangerous"

So... who's welded it to the hub and who's welded to the tube?

Also, on their site it mentions they are made from 6061 aluminium.. but then doesn't that mean we're attempting to weld aluminium onto steel?

Excuse the nub questions. I know nothing about welding
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

See reply in the D2 Group Purchase thread.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

thrash wrote:
Adriano wrote:As far as engineering is concerned, you cant weld to the cast area of the hub, where as welding to the tube is fine. Just don't use a stick welder.
according to the instructions that came in the box, it says the following:

"Please make sure 100% to weld the hub and the tube completely. You have to wel our tube and hub. (Please do not weld out tube and OE shock holder) You have to carry out this step definately, if doesn't, it will cause the front camber degrees are not correct or dangerous"

So... who's welded it to the hub and who's welded to the tube?

Also, on their site it mentions they are made from 6061 aluminium.. but then doesn't that mean we're attempting to weld aluminium onto steel?

Excuse the nub questions. I know nothing about welding

If you look at the OEM construction, the OEM steel tube goes through the cast steel section and is welded at the bottom on the inside. So if it was good enough for Mitsubishi to weld the the steel tube to the cast steel hub then its good enough for me.

The camber issue is only if someone cuts the OEM tube completely off. You need a 'stub' section of the tube 30 to 40 mm to ensure the new strut was the same angle/camber as the OEM strut.

Make sense?

Weld the new tube to the cast steel section not to the OEM tube in my opinion.

And no, that section is not aluminum.

As for Metalsmith (Simon) 0417 997 908, I having seen him for a while. Call him and ask him for a price (same as what he did to Pete's struts) also see if he is willing to 'sign off' on the welding for an engineers report.

:beer

Sorry I didn't respond to your last SMS, I got distracted and forgot. :D
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Spoke to an engineer today about this. He advised exactly what Adriano said. He also said that it should not be welded to cast steel, and should be welded to the tube. He mentioned that mitsubishi probably welded the strut to the hub, but they will have very stringent quality controls for this kind of thing, which would be haard to meet if done by a machine shop.

He also told me that he would be willing to sign off on the mod if done by a reputable and certified engineering shop as long as they sign off to say that their work is suitable for public road use - so this throws a spanner in the works for me.

Aaron, thanks for getting your dad to say yes to welding our struts up, but I can unfortunately no longer get this done by him unless he works for such a shop that would certify his work :( Sorry to have kept bugging you about this - i should have checked with the engineer first

Anyone have any recommendations of such a shop in Sydney?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Just so everyone can keep up to speed, mamun has spoken to me since posting the above & is going to speak to the engineer again, as, my dad is the MilSpec certifier for THALES @ Garden Island naval base. So the weld would be to MilSpec.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ah yes, sorry, i should have updated this!

I sent him an email (at 2am) last night, so will call him on monday to see what he says, if he hasn't responded by then
quest wrote: