New ute

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
muttis3lv6
I've been here before

New ute

Post by muttis3lv6 »

Hay all
I am buying a brand new ute next month
Has to be 4x4 double cab and up to $50k
Pretty much means I can get any one on the market
Want a v6 but may end up with TD
Kinda leaning towards a navara at the mo but not fully sold on it.
What would you buy and why
Or what should I not buy and why :)
JA Street track monster
MPI with Wold3d
Frankinstine turbo
water injection and bloody big inter-cooler
6 point roll cage with 4 point harness
OMG fiberglass
Megga weight reduction weight TBC
5 stud conversion with HUGE rotors
Cute little 12 inch sub with 700 Watt amp
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I'm in a similar boat when I return to Aus. At the moment I've only been doing internet research and it ultimately comes down to driving hands-on.

I'm leaning towards Ford Ranger 3.2 TD. Looks good on paper.

Otherwise BT-50 (ugly) or even Amarok though the VW reliability (or lack of) scares me.

These are the ones that apparently drive the best on road - I've always shirked away from 4x4s in the past due to the way they (don't) handle.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

i'm sure Gav's gunna chime in with Amarok any minute now...
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Ranger is an uncomfortable shitbox, Shannon will back me up on that. He has my old one.

Go the amarok everyone I know who has one, loves it.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

1320ft wrote:Ranger is an uncomfortable shitbox, Shannon will back me up on that. He has my old one.
Is that the new model? (PX) It is apparently a totally different beast to the old one.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Shannon almost certainly has the old one The new model has won some 4x4 shootout.
SDT have the Mazda and it is a bit cheaper than the Ford and was a passenger in it recently towing a training car from Townsville to Rocky. I agree it's ugly but looks better behind a bull bar.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
JJH
Enthusiast

Post by JJH »

Take a look at the Triton; I bought 4x2 turbo diesel dual-cab last year because it had the most comfortable, car-like interior and had more bells & whistles for the $$.
I'm happy with how it performs & it tows the Starion no problems, and I would imagine the 4x4 would tow even better.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Shannon almost certainly has the old one The new model has won some 4x4 shootout.
SDT have the Mazda and it is a bit cheaper than the Ford and was a passenger in it recently towing a training car from Townsville to Rocky. I agree it's ugly but looks better behind a bull bar.
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

My Ranger is a 2010 model 3.0ltr turbo diesel. It's no way as good as my old v6 RA Rodeo. The engine in the Ranger however is it's only saving grace. It is good on fuel and has heaps of torque.

My brother works for Ford, and the new Ranger has had a few recalls already. I believe they are having issues with the cruise control especially. If you do buy one make sure it's the 3.2 as the 2.2 is way underpowered.

Have you looked at the new Colorado/Dmax? Different engines but mostly the same car.

D40 Navaras can't carry any sort of load! You have been warned... My mates are all complaining about it. The leaf springs sits flat unloaded to try and give you a better ride (this is why they still sell the d22 as it can carry 1 tonne)

The Triton is getting older, but it's good value and the rear seating position is a winner as JJH said.

Amarok... Well i'm undecided! Depends on how long you want to keep it for i guess! Service costs will be high, and i bet it chews through pads and rotors like any other euro vehicle.

Hilux. To expensive and getting to old. Good resale, but not the pick of the bunch now a days.

It's a tuff choice at the moment. Test drive them all and remember the driving position, and turning circle as you live with those two things everyday :wink:
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

www.18u wrote: D40 Navaras can't carry any sort of load! You have been warned... My mates are all complaining about it. The leaf springs sits flat unloaded to try and give you a better ride (this is why they still sell the d22 as it can carry 1 tonne)
I've heard the same thing, A/C company owner I was talking to said it won't pull a tandem trailer, clutch is next to useless...basically they now have a POS vehicle they can't use except for carrying a little flex duct!
muttis3lv6
I've been here before

Post by muttis3lv6 »

Lots of good notes
Thanks guys :)
Fark, turning circles, must remember to check that, my old triton was a pos and I had to master the 5 point turn!!

Knee comes out of the brase in the next few weeks so will start testing the all after that
JA Street track monster
MPI with Wold3d
Frankinstine turbo
water injection and bloody big inter-cooler
6 point roll cage with 4 point harness
OMG fiberglass
Megga weight reduction weight TBC
5 stud conversion with HUGE rotors
Cute little 12 inch sub with 700 Watt amp
starionc
I love starions

Utes

Post by starionc »

My mate has a Triton. He likes it, but doesn't like the turbo lag! But it is Auto :x

My Mechanic has NOTHING good to say about the Navara! He has had heaps of them as new cars come in with a big list of problems.

Lots of people are saying "Toyota time bomb" now!!

I would keep well away from a VW Resale on this would be the most painful part IMO

One of the guys on here just had an Isuzu cost his work $6K for a new engine in an 09 model!!

My money would be on the Mazda or Ranger But the bigger motor!
It's a work ute I'm guessing?
Like Rad said, get a Bull Bar.

All in all, I think that Turbo Diesel is WAY over ratted and the rebuild cost is way to high.
The Diesel we have here is still not good enough to run these cars. Sorry but Diesel is for trucks ONLY :D

Just remember
Opinions are like backsides, Everyone has one!

It's what you like that matters the most as You will be the one driving it!
Test drive them all, and go for a second drive, or 3rd!
I bought a VN Calais back in the day. I lasted 1 week before I traded it in on a EB II...... :D
How many Starions can one man drive!!

Check out my website: www.aboutstumpgrinding.com.au
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Apologies if I sound biased, but I have been driving VW commercial vehicles for the last 7 years now & my current VW Transporter (with 4motion, the VW AWD drive system) has the same twin turbo diesel motor as the Amarok & I just love it. Its nearly up to 100,000km in less than 2 years without any issues, so no reliabilty issues at all. Plenty of power for towing loaded car trailers, & has excellent fuel economy, several times now achieving over 1000km out of a 80 litre tank.
Also has the tightest turning circle, better than a Commodore, & can carry 1200kg on the floor of the van. Ticks all the boxes for me, if you like vans.
As a ute, the Amarok gets my vote.

panda
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

I hear the new 5cylinder Ford/Mazdas are already fucking gearboxes when they have to actually work so they haven''t fixed that from earlier stuff. In saying that there is a long waiting list and we can''t get any till April. (Lots of tradesmen in Chch now to build us a new city)

I prefer the 2.5L Tritons but have seen them with completely clogged up inlet manifolds and breathers after 40,000kms and think Mitsubishi are blocking off egr themselves the dodgy bastards.

Most of the common rail diesel stuff although good performers is high maintainence and any sign of dodgy fuel is going to cost a mint to repair, have seen people spend almost half the value of the purchase price on injectors and pump, the fucking V8 Landcrusiers can't even make it off the wharf.

So for the first time ever if I was in the market I'd go petrol or buy an older generation vehicle.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Happy with my Colorado 4x4auto diesel .Only problem in 63k's is /was the fanspeed control in the dash. Still on oe tyres as well and getting app 9.3 litres per 100k mainly around town.
Seem to be problems with manual trans in all makes with the plates wearing out at less than 60k at times & dual mass flywheel needing replacing at the same time. :(
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63