ProZac's 1982 Starion - Now with added 86!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

More boost? Need intercooler. Snagged a 550x230mm one, which is a pretty standard size, and should be able to support my goal of 300HP. Got it positioned in the best place available without cutting anything up, which I'm not really willing to do.

The way the top mounts are, its completely attached to the bumper alone, not the actual chassis. I can't see any real problems with this though.

Started making some mounting tabs

Welded the mounts together, would have liked to make them one piece, but didn't have any alloy knocking around in a big enough sheet.

Clears everything nicely, and leaves room for the pipes to come up into the engine bay on either side. I'm going to make new windscreen and headlight washer bottles, and relocate them to under the guards. The battery will be in the boot, and I'll move the MAF slightly. This will leave room for the pipes to come up where the washer bottle sat originally.

Looks better without a gaping hole and messy suspension components in the way.

Mean.

The bottom mounts obviously still have to be made, but I think for these I'm going to mount the pipework to the body on rubber grommets, so the lower intercooler mounts can actually be welded to the pipes themselves... I'm trying to have a component do more than one job at a time if at all possible, should be pretty cool :)
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

I have been considering disconnecting the headlight washer nozzles and using that water pipe for an intercooler spray instead... how often do people use the headlamp washers? I don't see how they are all that effective without headlamp wipers anyway...
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Definately not a bad idea, they move a fair volume of water, and would be pretty decent as an intercooler sprayer.

I just want to keep them because they're already there... TBH I barely ever use them. If i got rid of them I'd have to find something to use the button in the cabin for, and that's way too hard ;).
niss720
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by niss720 »

I have the headlights as water sprayers in my JA, never used them anyway but you have to re wire the switch as it only sprays when the headlights are up. I haven't done it yet though as before last week they were stuck up :D

Zac that cooler set up looks neat how are you running the cooler pipes? Just don't hit any bumps too hard with the cooler and the car being so low :P
Parting Blue JA Starion

Mercedes W126 420sel
Blue JA Starion (parting)
Silver JA Starion, 45000kms, coilovers
4G63 VR4 cordia
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

If your going to do the battery in the boot thing perhaps we could park our Starions next to each other and do them at the same time?
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Well done Zac. Very tidy and pretty tough looking. Yes the pipes through the squarish holes under the headlights is a good choice.
Everything is hidden because of the spoiler you're using.
With a standard spoiler is looks tryhard IMO.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

ProZac wrote:Definately not a bad idea, they move a fair volume of water, and would be pretty decent as an intercooler sprayer.

I just want to keep them because they're already there... TBH I barely ever use them. If i got rid of them I'd have to find something to use the button in the cabin for, and that's way too hard ;).
what i meant was.. why not use the same button in the cabin to activate the cooler spray? but as nis pointed out, they only work with the headlights up - something I overlooked
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Massive thanks to KiwiEurospec for letting me pillage a bunch of parts from his parts car :).

My exhaust met a grizzly end this morning at the Palms Mall CarPark... car sounds quite boss with a completely open downpipe though, can hear the turbine sound when spooling, heh.

Will try to patchi it up as best i can in the mean-time. My In-laws are building a new garage, and will put the hoist back up, then I'll build something special fot it :).
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ran out of time to fix the exhaust, so the car is parked up in the garage at the moment. Will build something nice for it at the end of the year :).

Been working on some conquest taillights, however with amber inner lenses, as I didn't like the original red ones.

Also, my Velnas unit is soon going to be pointless, as it'll have an aftermarket computer. I took a spare display apart, and discovered a 16x2 LCD display is a damn near perfect fit inside. Am working on a little module for it, the original Velnas display will show Boost, TPS, or AFR, or any combination of those three, in any colour. Will also be an integrated EBC. I needed some control interface buttons for the brain-box though, so had a play with a spare power window control panel and came up with this:

Looks like an old NES controller, hah.

Someone go finish my degree for me so I can work on cars all the time and not have to spend till 11pm at uni every day.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Awesome work!
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
popup

Post by popup »

thrash wrote:I have been considering disconnecting the headlight washer nozzles and using that water pipe for an intercooler spray instead... how often do people use the headlamp washers? I don't see how they are all that effective without headlamp wipers anyway...
I thought exactly the same thing! I will look at wiring diagram to see how to enable them to be used when the headlights are down.
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I've been having a wee play with air flow meters. After doing some quick calcs, I figured out that the amount of air my shop vacuum cleaner sucks isn't a bad approximation for a running engine. It'll atleast have the airflow meter within its correct working range. With some electrical tape, I setup a sealed intake system that meant all the air the vacuum cleaner took in had to pass through the air flow meter. The vacuum cleaner itself has four different settings, fast and slow, with a by-pass valve either open of closed.

I took some measurements for both the Starion AFM and the 1.8 NA Galant one I have. As I don't know the actual amount of air that is flowing at these vacuum cleaner setting, I can't really generate any meaningful plots, but I can compare between the two. The data shows the the Starion AFM outputs a signal frequency 1.15 times that of the Galant AFM output signal. This is consistant across all the vacuum cleaner settings.

ACES!

This is exactly what I wanted to find, as it means that the Galant AFM could be used as-is to get things up and driving again, albeit with the car running a bit lean. I can simply build a frequency converter box that takes the input signal, multiplies it by 1.15, and shoots it out the other side. This is exactly what those expensive apexi safc things do, and very similar to what the MAF-Translators do... I don't want to pay for a SAFC, and I dont like the fact the MAF-T's only have three tuning points... Building one myself I can have it use a tunable table to determine the output, so I can dial in the factory system a bit better.

Wonder if I can pull 225RWHP on a stock computer/injection system... interesting.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Aaaaaaaand, I tested the intake air temp sensors withing both AFM's, they're the same, even easier! :).
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

Haha thats intense! What are you studying at uni?? Electrical Engineering or something :)

87 Starion EX
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Hah, yeah bro, final year :).

Hopefully I've got a job lined up doing shit like this, but getting paid for it too :).