Huge fuel consumption problem

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Kremmen
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Kremmen »

mizuno man wrote:Have you checked for fuel leaks from the fuel pump to the engine bay. Can you smell any fuel?
There's no sign of anything leaking from the engine at all. The fuel, like the oil it burns, comes out the rear.

If it sits idling, a patch of fuel starts to accumulate on the ground from spray out the back of the exhaust.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

hook up a fuel pressure gauge if you can - your pressure regulator may have carked it and is forcing too much fuel through the injectors. If this is the case and you let it continue, you'll be in for a fuel pump replacement soon.

if it's running that rich, you should be really down on power?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Kremmen
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Kremmen »

thrash wrote:if it's running that rich, you should be really down on power?
I'd have thought so too, but it's remarkably normal.
GasJA
I like starions

Post by GasJA »

Is the car idling OK? Wierd noise on startup. Check timing belts.
4G63 hard to live with
hard to live without..
Kremmen
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Kremmen »

thrash wrote:hook up a fuel pressure gauge if you can - your pressure regulator may have carked it and is forcing too much fuel through the injectors. If this is the case and you let it continue, you'll be in for a fuel pump replacement soon.
This seems to be a major part of the issue. I took it along to another mechanic, who had a good look at it and said that the pressure is about 40% up. His opinion is it's not enough to kill the fuel pump, but the best option is a replacement (non-Starion) regulator.

He also said it basically could do with a lot of work (spray pattern isn't great, valves aren't great, etc, etc), so I'll be looking to get rid of it.

Thanks for the help. Anyone want another Starion?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

unhook the vacuum line to the pressure regulator and see if that eases the pressure a bit?

good luck with the sale. if you don't want to spend money on it, getting out quick is best
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Try taking the regulator off and giving it a damn good clean out. You can take them apart reasonably easily, but getting them securely crimped back together is a bit tricky.

Won't be doing any favours for your injectors either.

Definately sounds like the problem though :)