Conquest Intercooler

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Dash
*** Half Century Post ***

Conquest Intercooler

Post by Dash »

I'm looking at fitting an Intercooler from an Astron powered conquest into my non intercooled SOHC 4g63. Does this fit straight in, or are the intercoolers that came standard with the sirius engine, different than those that came with the astron?
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The american widebody conquest/starion intercoolers are the same as late model japanese/european/new zealdn starion intercoolers, which were mounted vertically. The early model jap ones were mounted horizontally.

You'll also need an intercooled model compressor cover for the turbo.

Your non-intercooled radiator overflow bottle will also be in the way, you can move it to the cavity behind the nose-cone panel.

Your radiator support panel will also require cutting to get the intercooler pipes through, as these were different between non intercooled and intercooled models also.

Depending on whether your car has an oil-cooler or not, you may have to shuffle these lines around a bit aswell, this is also true for the power steering cooler lines.

It's not actually as much work as that makes it sound, once you get started you'll see how it all fits together.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

ProZac wrote:...You'll also need an intercooled model compressor cover for the turbo...
Or remove the lokatingpin and rotate the cover...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Then you have to make a new mount for your wastegate actuator, and the non-intercooled versions don't have a particularly easy shape to the outlet for conventional intercooler piping.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I'll take some pics of my tomorrow for you, I have done pretty much what you wish to. Also, get as much of thepipework from the cooler as you can to make plumbing easier
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Al, I'm curious how/where you moved things around, so please whack some pics up here... Thanks.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Thats the problem with modifying a car. You change one thing and it snowballs :x
1985 JB Starion #157
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

TOMSUN wrote:Thats the problem with modifying a car. You change one thing and it snowballs :x
Very very true.Been there done that :(
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Hope these help. I used most of the original pipework but did have to add a couple of pieces to get it to work. I did not have to move the power steering cooler lines or the support for the bonnet catch. And some thug had already cut the radiator support panel and made the hole larger.

I used a silicone elbow from the turbo outlet, I had to trim the heat shield a little for clearance. I aslo machined up an adaptor to mate the elbow with the factory rubber pipe.

The two pipes on the intercooler are joined together with a piece of aluminium. I had to cut this to spread the pipes out a little to clear stuff and get pipework in. I made a piece that I riveted in between support it again once I knew where everything needed to be.

Had to make hanging brackets for the intercooler to mount on, just a couple of bits of aluminium angle. Left hand bracket is bolted where the tow hook is (tow hook sits behind it) Right bracket has two bolts and nuts that go through the chassis rail. You can get inside the rail and do them up tight.

I used both original crossover pipes to get into the throttle body (JA one and Conquest one) Cut them both in half (after measuring) and used a left over piece of rubber hose to join the two together. I had to file the edges of the JA crossover as it has a seam running down both sides.

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

It's nice to see everyone's different ideas.

What turbo is it Al? You've done well...completely hidden the wastegate actuator and managed to jam both cooler hoses through the radiator support and still retain the factory airbox position.

Are you hiding the cooler behind a standard JA/B spoiler, a JD/GSRV one or something custom?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Not sure what the turbo is, it's on my list to find out. I think it's a Nissan one, T28 maybe...I'll find some numbers on it one day and work it out.

The stock hoses run that way and wrap around the air box. I assume US/JD cars have a larger hole in the radiator support to fit it all.

I will be using a Redzone spoiler when it can be made, JA chin spoiler don't work without me relocating the cooler forwards and up to clear it. I also have the BOV in some of the pipework that sits behind the bumper, so it won't attract any unwanted attention