White Smoke Upon Decel

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
GormzZ
I love starions

White Smoke Upon Decel

Post by GormzZ »

Awesome, just what i wanted to see..

Noticed last night after doing a temporary fix and putting my old intake can back on.. that my car went from running 3 cyls and rich as all hell to normal again. Now it was a cold night last night and car hasn't been started for a week and a bit.. Taking it for a test drive around the block and just got up it a bit into 3rd and as soon as i backed of the accelerator and hit the brakes to slow down.. i see this big puff of smoke surround my car and fly towards the front and oh my did it smell! Smelt like oil..

Now i've looked a bit into it so far and some have said valve stem seals.. some have said turbo seals in other threads.. Another thing to add is after a good drive or flogging the car and turn it off.. (car's oil pressure doesn't go up to the top or to the bottom when driving.. its perfect and water temperature just goes a slight bit over half way) i can hear like a gargling/bubbling noise coming from my motor? it either sounds like oil or water between the turbo and the head... Someone was mentioning about the motor getting pressurized and thats what's causing this? For proof of pressurizing the dipstick actually pops out a tiny bit from when i pushed it in earlier to take it for a drive.. so theres proof of it pressurizing.

now whats everyones thoughts on this and how should i approach it? car still goes when turned over and doesn't blow smoke on idle. only when backing of from boost.. another thing to add is when the dipstick comes up a little bit.. cause the oil looks to be getting pressurized i have a bit of oil splattered on the top of my motor? another assumption could be oil splattered of there onto the exaust housing of the turbo/exhaust manifold/exhaust and hence causing the white smoke only when under boost.

anyway thoughts guys on what to do?
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ignore it, don't obsess, and enjoy driving the car. Keep an eye on your oil level and just top it up when needs be. Its an old car, its never going to be perfect.

Also, check your PCV system is letting excess crankcase pressure out.
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

ProZac wrote:Ignore it, don't obsess, and enjoy driving the car. Keep an eye on your oil level and just top it up when needs be. Its an old car, its never going to be perfect.

Also, check your PCV system is letting excess crankcase pressure out.
yeah this is what im going to do tomorrow and hopefully it disappears.. cause if that dipstick stays down no oil excapes and hence no smoke (that is my theory with the oil on the exhaust)

Last night i gave her a good flogging hoping it would go away (probably not the smartest idea but hell so many people having "fun" and i couldnt resist lol.) and it kept going after numerous clutch kicks and what not.. little beast can take a beating.

Also a mates dad who is a mechanic by trade also was leaning towards turbo seals.. but since its relatively new turbo believes if i drain the oil and put a thicker oil in their to return the seals to their original state and hopefully all should be fine.
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

You got much oil residue in your crossover pipe or intercooler?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

mine isn't fitted with a intercooler setup yet... and not sure about crossover pipe, whys that, if theres oil in there what does that represent?
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

i think i sorted it out! the hose going from the top of your rocker cover which usually goes into your intake can.. i had temporarily connected to the other hose going to the sump.. now after disconnecting and leaving them free and taking the old girl for a drive.. i havent noticed any smoke, dipstick stays down now not releasing pressure/oil and car is not making gargling sounds either! hopefully thats fixed and now i just need to degrease the motor so the remaining splattered oil is gone and hopefully shes a winner..
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...
brettdodds88
Dorifto!

Post by brettdodds88 »

GormzZ wrote:i think i sorted it out! the hose going from the top of your rocker cover which usually goes into your intake can.. i had temporarily connected to the other hose going to the sump.. now after disconnecting and leaving them free and taking the old girl for a drive.. i havent noticed any smoke, dipstick stays down now not releasing pressure/oil and car is not making gargling sounds either! hopefully thats fixed and now i just need to degrease the motor so the remaining splattered oil is gone and hopefully shes a winner..
hay mate true you are haveing the same problem's as me and i mean the same lol nu not a good thing...so is it still doing it like blowing smoke oil going every were...
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

well basically if i start the car up cold.. and its a cold morning it will blow a small amount of white smoke. but thats only cause of condensation i believe. my concern is that when you've drove it to the point of operating temperature in the motor.. and turn it of. When you go to turn it on.. its hard to start... takes a good 30sec's to 1min to get it to finally start (on cold starts it starts instantly) and when it does start you can see out the rear view mirror a big PUFF of white smoke. then it doesn't blow anymore smoke after that... hence why i think its valve stem seals still as i ran my car rich for a while when i ran a pod filter and no afm.
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...