Intercooler Piping size

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Ok I did kick up a storm and they wouldn't pay. I ended up suing them and winning half the amount I was going for. Which included the cost of needing a retune. I was actually rather happy with the turbo in the end so I didn't go after them for that. And the haltech wasn't written on the quote what model so I couldn't go after them for that. All in all it isn't that bad. I just learnt from the experience for next time.

Here is the pic I meant to post
http://www.sweetfrostings.com.au/Images/Manifold.JPG

Also I see what you mean about spool and boost. That's why I like the turbo. I was considering havin both setups and do a couple dyno runs but you might be right about it being a waste of time. I am planning on keeping the motor stock for now. I did block off the internal gate and strapped on a external gate to help hold the high end boost.

And jay, there is a budget but I made sure the parts I am going to get aren't cheap china crap. Plus it's easiest to get an intercooler made so that the outlets face up for the piping route. Most universals are pointing east-west not north-north
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

you sued them? nice! did the money you got back cover the legal expenses?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Legal expense was like $60 or something from memory. I just represented myself :) Was small claims court.
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

I've always had great intake temps and low pressure drop with my intercoolers.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260723954075 ... 974wt_1157

Probably going to pick one of these up. Not trying to tell you how you spend your money man, just wondering what benchmarks you'd seen.

:beer
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

Woody,
can always put a bit of 2/2.25" silicone hose over the inlets of the cooler to pack out enough for 2.5" to slide over if its the restriction of the actual pipe you're worried about?
is bigger better?
and overall size once youve done your mods is of course your call but have a read anyway.
a good mate down here built the exact same engine that Brendan Mock from Jim Mock Motorsport runs in his 9 sec EB falcon SOHC turbo except put it in a later EF. only difference is the 2.5" cooler piping from gt35/40 through to intake.
Brendan Mock road tested it and refused to drive it after 3 corners saying it was a death trap and breaking a T5Z gearbox on the dyno later because of the massive torque the 2.5" piping created as opposed to the flat out drag racing 4" that brendan runs, even with the massive turbo and cam that barely lets the car idle. The only difference was 10hp up top, 621hp ATW. one with a usable power band, the other not.
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so.. with 2.5 inch piping the motor mad 621rwhp and a lot of torque down low, and with 4 inch piping a similar motor made 631rwhp but a lot less torque down low?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

That is very interesting. Whats even more interesting is the notability of how much HP he got out of the 2.5" piping. In all honesty, the 2.5" suits me best I think as that would be the throttle body size I am thinking. And I am definetly after the torque rather than big HP numbers.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Also jay, I think the main difference with those intercoolers is quality control. Sure you can get some really good ones, but you can also get some really crap ones too. Not sure I would want to take a risk with it...
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

Thrash, yeah mate 10hp with peaky power band. A gt35/40 at high boost did not choke up the smaller pipe, even on a 6cyl 4L.
so a 2L 4cyl making less power should be much further away from being a restriction; provided its resonably made.

Woody, cant speak highly enough of 2.5" for torque response, also, for the price of a chinese cooler why not? $100 bucks for a 600x300 and if its found to be shit they're disposable enough to send you another one if you yell loudly enough. Know of at least 20 being plumbed up with no dramas. Be keen to see the result either way :beer
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I know of an 8 second ET VL that ran a chinese cooler....
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

WidebodyWoody wrote:Also jay, I think the main difference with those intercoolers is quality control. Sure you can get some really good ones, but you can also get some really crap ones too. Not sure I would want to take a risk with it...
I have sent back at least 10 PWR units over the years, because they turned up full of shavings, blocked cores etc.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

When/if buying a IC, mind that the in/out-let is onley 2,5" inner diameter on a 3"...
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yeah just ranger today and was shocked at the price now. $900 instead of the $400 I was quoted years ago. Will see what my mate can sell me one for as he works their first. Otherwise it will be a cheapie and will make sure it's one with a warranty.

Yeah some guys in the states are saying 3" but I am thinking 2.5" for my application. I am all about te torque not the hp.
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

good plan mate :D