FCD Grafted onto Starion ECU

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
vr4gone
I like starions more

FCD Grafted onto Starion ECU

Post by vr4gone »

Just a couple of pictures of a Jaycar FCD kit grafted onto my ECU.

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Good job! Does it work as you'd expect?
What do Jaycar want for the kit?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

It was quite east to do. I just etched the circuit board to bypass the map signal to the FCD from pin A17 and that's basically it. The kit will set you back twenty large ones, :beer

A link for ya!
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... TID=965#11
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

Looks really well done! What exactly do these do? Is it for the vr4 or staz

87 Starion EX
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

definitely for a Starion ECU! The VR-4 ECU doesn't look like a Commodore 64 inside like that one haha.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

dirtygalant wrote:definitely for a Starion ECU! The VR-4 ECU doesn't look like a Commodore 64 inside like that one haha.
LOL^^

87 Starion EX
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

I have been looking into this mod for awhile. I am pretty el'cheapo and this seemed like a good way to start. Plus I have 2 JA ECU's, so I can try it out and go back to normal if I like.

I have done some research on what most Fuel cut defenders do, but I found different things each time.

They usually either:

A. restrict the max voltage of the MAP Sensor so that the ECU thinks it hasn't gone over the PSI required to Fuel Cut. This can be alittle dangerous tho because it won't adjust the fuel accordingly to match air/fuel ratio.
Example: If I raise boost to 16psi, it will still think it's only 12psi and won't let enough fuel in making it lean. (P.s. I don't plan on raising the boost to 16psi)

or

B. bypass the fuel cut on the circit board, meaning fuel cut won't engage and the fuel will still rise to match air/fuel ratio. These are usually more expensive and harder to find for rare car's like these. Not even sure if you can get them for starion's, so I hope this mod is that! This type is usually a daughter-board
Exampe: If I raise boost to 16psi, it will read this and attempt to put in enough fuel to stop it going lean (If the Stock JA can manage it). (p.s. again, not raising to 16psi, just an example).

Does anyone know which type this is?
Who has tried this mod, and what have they experienced?
If I do this, I have to know what to expect so I can adjust boost safely and plan my fuel upgrade.

NOTE: Yes, I used the "Search" function. That's how I found this Post. I found other Posts on HKS FCD and DIY yellow wire jobs also. I just wanted to know the effect of this FCD tho.
Work on Car, Go to Gym, Pump Bitches = Life
sucka
I like starions more

Post by sucka »

I have recently done this mod and have to say it works a treat. Apparently the board is designed for a wrx subaru and the map sensor output voltages may be a little different. you can fiddle with the output voltages by changing the resistors. But havent actually bothered to check what level output triggers the ecu to cut fuel and to be honest i wont be checking it. The FCD does what I wanted to do, and Ive a Maft and ls1 mas sensor to go in shortly anyway so I can tune AF ratios if needed

As you have stated the fcd works by choking the map sensor input voltage to a level below that which triggers the ecu to cut the fuel. Ive found 12 psi boost to be about the limit for my staz atm before I can hear detonation.
But I think this due to a lean out caused by my nearly dead fuel pump not keeping up more than anything else. Bosch 044 is on its way so we'll see soon enough.
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

Keep me updated Sucka!!!!!!

I was gonna pick up a Bosch 044, upgrade the injectors as VR4gone has done and maybe install a fuel regulator that increases with boost depending on how rich it becomes.

I got VR4gone to send me some info on what he has done. The MAF translator + LS1 MAF seem expensive tho. The main reason I wanted the MAF gear was for the better air intake from a good Pod-filter. Is it necessary tho?
sucka
I like starions more

Post by sucka »

Lol yeah VR4Gone is my hero!.

Ive done the siemens injector upgrade following his how to thread.
The FCD following his thread and about to do the LS1 mas mod as inspired by his thread on that mod as well lol!

The LS1 mas is cheap as chips as most commodore nuts remove them and tune for masless setup (I guess a 3.5" hotwire mas is too restrictive for 6 litre v8s!). However the Maft is not so cheap nor is the wideband AF meter needed to tune it.
I'm sure there are a few members here wondering why bother with the eci setup when a multi point setup is not much more to set up. But each to there own and I have my reasons for going down this path.
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

I'll be selling my starion soon by the way.
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

regarding that ls1 mas you were talking about sucka.. is it hard to setup with a aftermarket intake with pod filter? whats required, a new ecu or can it be wired up to the old ecu and act like the old one did.. just not as restrictive? pm the answer if you want.
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...
sucka
I like starions more

Post by sucka »

GormzZ wrote:regarding that ls1 mas you were talking about sucka.. is it hard to setup with a aftermarket intake with pod filter? whats required, a new ecu or can it be wired up to the old ecu and act like the old one did.. just not as restrictive? pm the answer if you want.
As I havent actually installed the unit yet I am probably not really the best person to ask.

What I can say is that Im confident the LS1 3.5" mas will fit quite neatly into the standard airbox housing. But the stock filter wil have to go in favour of a pod type.My plan is to attach it to the pipe on the airbox lid and hide it away so it looks stock and doesnt attract a defect if Im unfortunate enough to be pulled over.
Ill be starting this in the next couple of weeks so Ill do a how to thread if you like
sucka
I like starions more

Post by sucka »

vr4gone wrote:I'll be selling my starion soon by the way.
Thats a bugger,your input here will be missed thats for sure.
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

sucka wrote: Ill be starting this in the next couple of weeks so Ill do a how to thread if you like
VR4gone has a thread on it with what he did, as I am sure you know. Sadly, it didn't have all the information on how he did it and if I attempted to copy, I would probably fail :wtf:
Sooooo I am very interested in a step by step how to :D