Reverse lights

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Reverse lights

Post by bridgey »

I cant find where the plug off the box for the reverse lights goes into the loom. any one shed some light on the situation?
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

IIRC it runs down near the clutch line from the firewall wiring, and into the box on the passenger side. But been ages since i looked so may be wrong.
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

cant see it? photos anyone?
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

it's in the same part of the wiring loom which goes to the wiper motor etc. It has a two spade plug with red wires. The plug looks the same as what plugs into the DASH solenoid, except it is white rather than black. The connector will be close to the thermostat housing area of the firewall.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

good work dg.

sorry to hijack, can you fill me in on what makes the DASH motor awesome? always hear about them but forgive the ignorance, always been TC so never really read up on it :oops:
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Basically Mitsubishi's foray into electronic valve control. Works on the same principle as VTEC and MIVEC with the electronically switched oil pressure solenoid, but instead of switching between two (or three) cam lobe profiles it simply activates the additional set of inlet valves.

Up to 2500rpms the head only runs on the small inlet valves (like an 8V engine) to promote turbulence and more low rpm torque, but above 2500rpms the extra set of large inlet valves get switched on and it's like a higher flowing 12V head or even like a 16V head I suppose. The single exhaust valve would probably be the only restriction in the head port flow.

The DASH head is taller in over-all height, and is also wider and longer around the perimeter of the rocker cover. Inside the head on the back of the camshaft is an oil pump driven off a lobe which then pumps through the electronically switched solenoid which would either dump the oil flow or supply oil to the rocker shaft rail and the rocker arms which have the extra valves on.

From the factory the DASH engines have 200PS in early spec form, and for some reason the later models drop down to 170PS. I know the early models run approx 13-14psi of boost, unsure about the later models. All have a 7000rpm redline which is impressive for a SOHC Mitsubishi (but not unheard of for SOHC Hondas)
ImageImage
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

thats a wicked idea i suppose they shelved the idea for a few years until the mivec models were released?

so with head work and support mods/tuning the DASH can make some serious power with SOHC?
are big lift/duration cams still able to work with the factory 2500rpm changeover?

thanks for the info mate
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

in Groub B spec the DASH head supported around 450-500 hp
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

they shelved the idea because they went twin cam, i would assume. Mivec wasn't until almost a decade later.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I think the dash was shelved because of group b racing ending because of spectator and driver deaths.

DG - do you know if the dash is a non interference head?
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I would imagine it wouldn't be - the pistons have quite a bit of a valve relief cut out of them, I imagine the lift would be the same or similar to the 8V heads. I'm running flat top pistons on my DASH engine though to bring CR up to 8.5:1 so I would imagine mine would be an interference engine.
ImageImage
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

I'm not sure if they are interference or not but I fitted my cam belt with the tin timing plate back to front. Nothing broke when I tried to start it lol.

Also my fwd one ate cam belts, one of them in about 20,000kms. I would be keeping a close eye on it if I had another one.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

dirtygalant wrote:From the factory the DASH engines have 200PS in early spec form, and for some reason the later models drop down to 170PS. I know the early models run approx 13-14psi of boost, unsure about the later models. All have a 7000rpm redline which is impressive for a SOHC Mitsubishi (but not unheard of for SOHC Hondas)
Could it be the switch from leaded to unleaded fuel??

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Komeuppance wrote:
dirtygalant wrote:From the factory the DASH engines have 200PS in early spec form, and for some reason the later models drop down to 170PS. I know the early models run approx 13-14psi of boost, unsure about the later models. All have a 7000rpm redline which is impressive for a SOHC Mitsubishi (but not unheard of for SOHC Hondas)
Could it be the switch from leaded to unleaded fuel??

-Robert
Japan hasn't had leaded fuel since the 1970s, the reason why the Australian JD Starion had less power is because Australia switched from leaded to unleaded in 1985/1986. New Zealand still had leaded fuel right up until 1996 and many of our domestic market vehicles sold before then didn't have cat converters or O2 sensors much like the pre-'85 Australian vehicles.

Both my 1980 Eterna and 1982 Galant which were imports from Japan had cat converters and O2 sensors from factory, suggesting that they didn't run on leaded fuel way back in at least 1980.

I don't know why there was a change in power outputs between early/late DASH engines, it seems the first of the GSR-Vs and the E15A Galant/Eterna with DASH engines had the full 200PS, while 86.5 onwards GSR-V Starions had less power, and by then the DASH Galant/Eterna was discontinued.
ImageImage