My new ride

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

i have a mate thats right into the mk3s apparantly the reason 7ms blow gaskets as toyota under torqued them from factory
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

The reason they blow headgaskets is the the water jackets are extremely close to the combustion chambers. The slightest corrosion and they start to use water. Usually after that people overheat the engine and warp the head. Most people just try to get away with just a deck and a new headgasket, and never straighten them or weld up the corrosion correctly. 7ms are a smooth engine and sadly got a bad rep due to bad poor maintenance.
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

a guy here in chch has a 7m putting out 550hp at the rears
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
jk

Post by jk »

dirtygalant wrote:What is it with Toyotas and BHGs?
That's a bit rich coming from a mitsu fan :) I had a 1980 2.0 sigma as my first car, talk about head corrosion and blown head gaskets LOL Sigmas of all models are about extinct from the roads here in Perth, I imagine we've run out of reconditionable heads.
jb - white outside maroon inside
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

The Astron engine is just a shit engine I'll give you that, and the Saturn engine tends to blow gaskets too but I've never seen as many Mitsis with BHGs as I have with Toyotas, either M series, E series, JZ series, A series, VZ series, L series, KZ series etc. Even the new KD series Diesels are coming back with blown head gaskets and cracked heads now.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

dirtygalant wrote:The Astron engine is just a shit engine I'll give you that
Any engine will die from improper maintenance, and retarded owners.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

A few years ago, TRP in Sydney had an R32 GTS with a 7MG + big turbo running mid 9's....but it only had to last under 10 secs :D

I am sure that they were using stock-ish NA engines with an upgraded HG...
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

^ yeap, i have a magazine featuring this car somewhere.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

7M's die from BHG's because the factory torque settings are nowhere near sufficient, I know a couple guys with GTE's (one's stock, the other makes ~330hp at the rears) that give their cars an absolute hiding and never have any issues.
New OEM HG+ARP studs+a decent torque setting fix the problem. That and decent cooling.
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

just came back from a weekend away in the new supra, went unbelievable, wont be long before i get booked though, sat on around 130 all the way back and touched 150 there at one stage. Damn I love this thing ! Usually takes us 3 and half hours to get to our house down south, did it in less than three :twisted:
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

starion wouldnt crack 150?
thats no good haha.
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210