Earthquake in NZ

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Around at a mates place using their internet. We probably won't have power, water and sewage for weeks potentially...
Bought a petrol generator and using that to power the fish tank and everything else that we want. Although they are so loud we only use it during the day time.
We are in one of the worse hit parts of the city, we have silt for africa! Team of people are coming round to help us shift it out on to the road :beer
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
JayME
Big Dorifto

Post by JayME »

Was allowed past the road blocks in the CBD to inspect some IT equipment at businesses I support through work

This was one of the sights down Columbo st

Those familiar with Christchurch will recognise this as the air bridge at Smith City. Cars are crushed on two layers.

I've seen a lot of damage and destruction on the news but I guess seeing some of this stuff in person it really dawned on me what some familys are going through. My heart really goes out to those effected, especially with missing friends/relatives
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Got water this morning woooot.

I'd say not to many people will be lowering cars any more around here, every road is stuffed, coilovers ftl LOL

Thinking about Fazazz (sp) in Lichfield st, be gutted if all those cars got crushed, mainly the F40. Anyone seen that area?
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

[quote="kiwieurospec"]Got water this morning woooot.

I'd say not to many people will be lowering cars any more around here, every road is stuffed, coilovers ftl LOL
quote]

Some roads are 4WD only at the moment... Very thankful I hadn't got around to putting the lowered springs in my Legnum

I got power back on this morning, AWESOME!
Still no water tho.

Thanks for all the well wishes from around NZ and across the ditch.

Both my starions have a bit of panell damage but thats easy to fix.
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Litchfield street didn't look to bad so here's hoping.
We still have no power, water, sewage, even landline phone. Power they reckon should be on by Monday- however our street is so smashed it's going to take a long time to get water and sewage back. As for landline i have no idea. Our street is still flooded.
To give you and idea about how much silt we had on our yard, the pile out the front was over 6 foot talk and about 8 meters long. They took that away and yesterday we managed to get close to 100 wheelbarrow loads out! Still quite a bit left, but can't be bothered anymore to be honest. So going to borrow my mates rotary hoe and turn it back into the ground.
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

That silt has to be the hardest crap to work with, it creates a vaccum to your shovel then the wheelbarrow and you have to manually scrap it off.
Its also is fuckin heavy, a neighbour filled his wheelie bin with it. I saw him doing it an told him you'll never move it or get it out but he knew better, watched as he couldn't budge this thing and had to scrap it all out by hand, took him hours LOL

my question: if by yesterdays total they have removed 198000 tons of it whats there instead? or did we just sink heaps?
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

did you see the pic of that car which fell into a sink hole which was full of the silt (or should I say liquefaction, the current buzz word) - I guess it would have been very liquid like for the car to sink into it but once the earthquake stopped it would have set almost like concrete - the car had to be pulled out of the hole by a digger, therefore writing it off.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Hope the banks and lenders are not attempting to sell anyone up as there will be many without jobs and income to service their loans
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Im quite lucky that my partners a government worker so we have guaranteed income, However Im self employed and lost about 90% of my customers. I'll try and keep going though.
I just heard over the radio that they are looking at helping out people that are uninsured and lost their houses! Stuff them they don't deserve any help. And if the government is so determined to help them they better be the last people to get new houses.