Widebody crushed on boneyard :(

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
JA83
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by JA83 »

i think everyone would be keen on a widey glass kit???
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

nobody wants narrowbody glass fenders eh.... think of the weight savings..

i suppose if we're getting widey fenders, we should also get widey suspension arms etc?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Why dont we just make some glass replica wide bodies and be done with it!
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Yep to fit on a vw chassis lol
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

So I reckon you'd get about 9 sets of rear quarters in a container. Then fill in between each set with 4 wheels, a set of guards, front shocks & control arms, LSD, torque tube & half shafts, arms & hubs. And some mirrors!
In the US, an uneconomical repair means paying say $1500 to $2000 for all the bits plus 1/9th of freight costs & duties...

Do-able?

Or maybe we go the glass panel route & get some pointers from LxS on the nb to wb conversion. Then it's mostly just mechanicals to bring in...that translates to more sharing the costs...
Oh & driving light lenses & surrounds!

Rob26t, front bars are available in glass, I'm making glass 3 piece wings (still in progress but slow) so we've got bit to start.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Say $2K for parts for one conversion (mechanicals, wheels, body panels) including shipping (I think $2K is skinny). How much do you think bodywork + respray costs? Then think about the RHD late model stuff for the interior (made of unobtainium here) and compare the total costs to importing a J-spec widey.

You are dreaming if you think there are big savings to be had.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i remember LXS's site saying that she should have just bought a genuine one as it would have been cheaper :wink:

i do very much want some spare front & rear guards for my widey for in case i stack it...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

MrBishi wrote:Say $2K for parts for one conversion (mechanicals, wheels, body panels) including shipping (I think $2K is skinny). How much do you think bodywork + respray costs? Then think about the RHD late model stuff for the interior (made of unobtainium here) and compare the total costs to importing a J-spec widey.

You are dreaming if you think there are big savings to be had.
All that's really left is the seats & climate control unit, correct me if I'm wrong.
So you could retrim the seats & color match the rest to be a replica of a widey or save the coins and go with the interior the car already has.
Most cars are a work in progress anyway so when people have enough time and money they do the next job.
A lot of people here do much of the work themselves based on info on this forum, so with good instructions those select few that want to do the conversion could have a go & save a fair bit putting on glass guards and doing most other bits themselves.
Who here would end up happily spending the same price as importing a WB by building it themselves as time & money permit?
Rego details don't change, no compliance matters to attend, then there's the weight saving benefit of glass bits....
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

outer guards are all well and good, what are you gonna do about the inner rears? you'd have to mini tub your car.

NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Dave, you would just extend the inner rear guards to suit the widey 1/4's.

If people really wanted a widey, Phil in North Queensland was selling his widey for around $10K (plus shipping to you and your state registration costs). It would cost that if not more to convert a NB into a WB.

Climate control retro-fitting, interior upgrading (seats mainly), suspension and drivetrain changes, and then rear 1/4 replaceent & full re-paint (these two alone would be $5K), plus the price of sourcing the parts and having them sent over.

I have been through all this years ago when I had the idea of converting my old JA.

It would be only possibly worth it if you were planning on doing most of these things anyway.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
jk

Post by jk »

NXTIME wrote:If people really wanted a widey, Phil in North Queensland was selling his widey for around $10K (plus shipping to you and your state registration costs). It would cost that if not more to convert a NB into a WB.
I was thinking exactly the same thing, nice manual widey for about $11K, why would you really bother converting??? Even the black auto with ssr's went for a song in my opinion. If I lived on that side of the country and was real keen for a wb I wouldn't be thinking about a conversion, I'd already own one of those two mentioned and be living it up.

But a total fiberglass body on a vw chassis? classic LOL
jb - white outside maroon inside
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

^^^^^

Hey jk, how would you like to get your teeth into this widey from the US. Thankfully it's not going to the wrecking yard. You can still keep your sig... LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
The listing started at $250 with a Buy it Now price of $600

I'd love to put this one in a container!! :)
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

BTW...As some will know, I'm doing a widey conversion on ex Mitsumadness' GSR-V which has rear quarter damage.
I have most parts except the rear quarters which I will looking at bringing in this year...

So, in other words this will be a mock A184A which will be identical as they have the same interior and running gear...(not sure about the diff though)

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Mal, converting a GSR-V is a great idea as you really only need to do the bodywork and repaint. You wouldn't need to do the suspension either, but it would be a good upgrade to get the 1988/89 rear end.

Having said that, just doing the 1/4's and repainting the car in a quality finish will cost $7K including parts.

Either way it isn't a cheap exercise.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
jk

Post by jk »

JDSTAZ45 wrote: Hey jk, how would you like to get your teeth into this widey from the US. Thankfully it's not going to the wrecking yard. You can still keep your sig... LOL
Yeah I don't hate the colour combo but there'll be no widey for me in the near future, especially a LHD basketcase.

Truth is I did consider both phil's black widey and nacho's gsr-v when they came up for sale. But both were going to be a little too expensive in their own ways, and I feel I've come too far with the jb to back out now. New 4stud wheels, small jb style lsd and ex anchor sohc head/cam/inlet manifold for a mild 2.4 build all waiting in the wings and useless on those cars, I'd just loose too much to gain relatively little for what I need/want. Not to mention the genuine HJ GTS Monaro coupe I still need to partially put back together. The damn Starion was meant to be the daily :roll: LOL

And not to play my sympathy violin, but my wife was diagnosed with a bowl cancer tumor mid last year resulting in immediate surgery and 6 months of chemo which is still ongoing. All this 3 months after our wedding, we're only 32 and been together since we were 17, so obviously my little car modding adventures have almost ground to a halt. Stiff upper lip and all that though :)
jb - white outside maroon inside