Would you like to see someone have a go with the SOHC motor

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.

Would you like to see me have a go with the SOHC motor

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Yes, prove em wrong
63%
No, stop fartarsing around and build the VR4 motor
26%
F*ck it chuck in Nelson TT 672 and go run 6's
11%

Total votes: 19

MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Why bother? I'd build a budget twin cam before spending money on the SOHC 63. You still have to make manifolds, reco long motor to try for big HP. Make it easy on yourself by putting the better of the 2 options in. You might even be able to reuse the manifolds & ancillaries for the 'all-out' build.

The cost of a simple-ish build of a TC is not too far above a SC when you break it down. The manifolds, ECU, turbo etc are the same cost.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

^^^^^ What Mr Bishi says is true. For what I spent doing the DASH motor I could have built a quite decent twin cam set up and been 25% up on what the DASH maxxed at.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

I completely forgot about the buckley st car & that's bad, cause they were customers of mine for a long time.

The cost difference of engine components is negledgeable.

I just wanted to gauge everyones thoughts following the discussion in the other thread.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

1320ft wrote:I completely forgot about the buckley st car & that's bad, cause they were customers of mine for a long time.

The cost difference of engine components is negledgeable.

I just wanted to gauge everyones thoughts following the discussion in the other thread.
If the cost is not much difference for you between the SOHC and DOHC... I'd like to change my vote to the DOHC option. :D
1985 JB Starion #157
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Don't change the goalposts halfway through the poll!

yes, as MrBishi said, the TC is much better option for a given budget and will allow you to re-use most of the external components. it makes complete and perfect sense to do the TC set up.

However, we are talking about Starions - and "complete" "perfect" and "sense"...just don't fit together all to well :D

Can I change my vote too/ :D
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

WANTSOM wrote:^^^^^ What Mr Bishi says is true. For what I spent doing the DASH motor I could have built a quite decent twin cam set up and been 25% up on what the DASH maxxed at.
But Greg if you went the TC first where would I have gotten my setup :D
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

anyone serious about building a 600hp sohc would have built a 300>400 hp one already, and carry on in incremental stages toward a target. You'd never see a post like this.
Why bother?
Look at the two samples in the recent MPI thread and ask them why.
That Gem could very well be a street car. Very few 4cyl full wt cars can touch a 9.1sec no spray 1/4, I don't care how many valves it has.
Personally.... I'd do the research, find out exactly what makes that Gem tick, copy & paste the combination into a lancer body, and go from there

redzone, if u have any more specs on that gem, can u post it. I for one am curious
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
robert26t
Enthusiast

Post by robert26t »

SOHC for the win, Keeps some sort of originallity to the car. In my opinion.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Sorry guys, the intention was never to "move the goal posts" halfway through the poll. I wanted to keep the cost of the engine parts out of it for the most, so it didnt affect the intention of the poll.

In reality, I guess once the cage, box fab work etc are done, my decision will be made.

Some basic info on the buckley st car here: http://www.buckleystautotech.com/index. ... egoryid=11
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i suppose it depends on what you are after...

if you wanna prove everyone wrong, then by all means, go sohc. I have no doubt that with enough effort you'll reach your target..

i think the head is less important then the depth of your pockets for this kinda thing.

There will always be keyboard warriors. You always see kids arguing online about rb26 vs 2jz, sr20 vs 4g63 vs ej20, lsX vs boss/windsor etc.. None of the people who argue to wits end about this shit will ever even in their dreams explore the upper limits of these motors.. so they don't see how pointless their arguments are, considering whichever one they get/have, the performance level is the same.

The people who do explore, like yourself, you don't argue about it.. you just admire each motor for what it is and what it can do. Actually, correction - and what you can get it to do.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Anchor
I like starions more

Post by Anchor »

Eh, i gave up and am now going for the 600rwhp mark with a tc head. So much easier and less stress on parts.. Went 340rwhp @ 16psi with the sohc but something went uh-oh inside... Lol. Never got to wind it up to 25psi.
Pigma - Nana spec GH sigma, 4g63t forged stroker, VR4 head, GT3582r...
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Will be following the TC build eagerly then. Glad that's settled. :roll: :wink:
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.