Would you like to see someone have a go with the SOHC motor

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.

Would you like to see me have a go with the SOHC motor

Poll ended at Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Yes, prove em wrong
63%
No, stop fartarsing around and build the VR4 motor
26%
F*ck it chuck in Nelson TT 672 and go run 6's
11%

Total votes: 19

1320ft
almost postwhore

Would you like to see someone have a go with the SOHC motor

Post by 1320ft »

Following on from the OT discussion in Vulpes thread, would anyone like to see someone have a go at making some power and running times with the SOHC motor?

If the G180, 4G54, L20B, RB30 etc can be built to make some mumbo (there are astron motors in the 8's) with right goods, why couldnt a SOHC 4G?

I do have the VR4 motor there, but would be willing to have a go with the SOHC 1st and in the meantime build an allout billet/dry sumped DOHC for stage 2.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

You don't need to prove anything...
Here in Sweden some guys had a "dynoshootout" with ported heads.
Bottom was a volvo B20 and the same double Weber DCOE 45's, AGAP cam was used and heads swapped onley.
The winner head was flowing 215cfm max. 157cfm mean. and had a max power of 195hp!
And that's a NON turbo, pushrod old fkn...

I don't se why a 4g63 with an 8valve (g64?) head and a turbo can't make 400+hp...
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

go the SOHC.. mine when built should be close on 400hp and thats sohc
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

I'll be looking for around 600/650hp.
The Forum Parts Guy

TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Focus on the getting the weight out of the car.
Stick with the factory LSD for now.
GET AN AUTO GEARBOX. Not sure what auto bolts up behind the sohc block. Get a shift kit and big stall converter.
A big turbo cheap off ebay or KKR
Forge the bottom end
Get the sohc built up & reground
Set of slicks & go race

I'd rather see you race it now and run reasonable times than sink $100k + into it over the next 5 years

Light weight, big boost, auto & slicks and you'll be suprised how quick it will be and how much fun it will be.
1985 JB Starion #157
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I'd also run in a dial your own class not a heads up class to start with

I can't wait to see this thing on the track
1985 JB Starion #157
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

TOMSUN wrote:I'd also run in a dial your own class not a heads up class to start with

I can't wait to see this thing on the track
I'm an old school bracket racer, not really into this heads up, cheque book racing.

It's all about winning the meet and putting another Gold Xmas tree in my cabinet rather than record certificates.
The Forum Parts Guy

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

meh.. if it's a race only car, why not..

- block up the water pathways in the block
- destroke the 2l and run it to 15,000 rpm
- gt45 ~60psi :twisted:

and see what happens..?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

1320ft wrote:I'll be looking for around 600/650hp.
i really dont know why no-one's done it yet.

4G64 2.4 1991 express van motor, 4G63 crank, custom long rods, good custom pistons, custom cam, welded head so you can use the 87mm cometic metal h/g, studs, usual prep work.. Custom intake. T04Z BB garrett, 42mm gate, 1.5" steampipe exh manifold, 40psi boost, hello 700hp at the flywheel... maybe more.

go for it man. at Jambo i had the editor of zoom and the editor of Fast Fours fighting over my Gemini for a feature, all because it didnt have an SR20 like everything else does these days. Quick old school sohc 4's get respect. Then when u eventually get bored with the power, build a 1000hp DOHC.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
davidbek95
I've been here before

auto

Post by davidbek95 »

Put a ford 6cylinder c4 auto in it,as i have just mated a c4 to my starion engine in my triton ute,at this stage auto is good for 600hp,if you want to spend more on auto to good for a higher hp,mine has 3500 torque converter in it,which is a 9inch torque converter,as its prep for a transbrake,have not had the car running yet will be soon,going auto will bring your 60ft time down.
The converation is not a overnite job,it can be done as i have done it.
regards david
avandull
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandull »

Twin cam or single cam? The twin cam head is a good head, it has massive ports, good head design, Ive seen 1200 HP out of a highly modified twincam 4g63, where as I cant recall a single cam 4g63 making more the 700 HP. So in my opinion, in the end a twin cam will make more power.
Agatha the ugly Starion
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

avandull wrote:Twin cam or single cam? The twin cam head is a good head, it has massive ports, good head design, Ive seen 1200 HP out of a highly modified twincam 4g63, where as I cant recall a single cam 4g63 making more the 700 HP. So in my opinion, in the end a twin cam will make more power.
The VR4 motor is a brilliant motor, but I am thinking that starting with a built SOHC motor would buy me time so I can go racing and build an allout DOHC motor in the long run.

Ideally, I would like to buy the bullet cyl heads, billet alloy block and head that Ben Bray had them design and build for the ex Rayglass datsun coupe.
The Forum Parts Guy

Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Automatic ? are you mental :o There's more to life than outright speed and as for losing some kg's, i've actually added some into my car to make it incredibly quiet. I'd rather have a car thats smooth, quiet AND powerful. Yu can have all three. i have had Lotus 7 type cars before that weigh 600kg but they sure are noisy and harsh. Lucky we are all different. Cheers
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Vulpes wrote:Automatic ? are you mental :o There's more to life than outright speed and as for losing some kg's, i've actually added some into my car to make it incredibly quiet. I'd rather have a car thats smooth, quiet AND powerful. Yu can have all three. i have had Lotus 7 type cars before that weigh 600kg but they sure are noisy and harsh. Lucky we are all different. Cheers
Lol but its going to be a drag car, so an auto makes sense.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Well as a benchmark you have the Buckley St Auto Lancer to work from. Worked 12 Dash head, reground cam MPI running the Bosch Indy injectors, 'large'Turbonetics turbo and C4 with stall convertor and all the good drag trimmings to boot running slicks. ie, its been done. Whats to prove but hey go for it if it means getting on the track earlier than otherwise. :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.