CAS delete using crank mounted sensor and disc from RVR

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

CAS delete using crank mounted sensor and disc from RVR

Post by Lunacy »

Well i was chatting to my engine builder this morn, and he hasked if i wanted a pile of evo parts including a sump, front timing cover etc so i said yeah why not.
Have just found in there that this engine must have been from an RVR as it has the sensor and disc for the crank mounted CAS.
My question is: has anyone used this on a starion twincam, or is it possible?
Ive only ever heard of the fabled heads off these engines that dont run a head mounted CAS so dont really know much about them. But if i can delete the CAS thatd be 1 less headache.
Any knowledge or help appreciated
Wil chuck up a pic of this stuff if anyones interested
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Starion VR4 has done this type of conversion so pm hin 4 more info
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Some disadvantages i think i have heard in the past about this seup are.
Aftermarket cam wheels are a problem with this setup as there is a piece you mount on the cam whee, and another mounted on the head (i think you need to drill a hole in the head to mount it too. I believe fidanza gears are stll ok. Also you can't alter base timing like a cas can either, as you have no cas to turn.

As i say this was around 4 years ago when i was looking into this, so feel free to correct me if i am wrong anyone :beer
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

www.18u wrote:...Aftermarket cam wheels are a problem with this setup as there is a piece you mount on the cam whee...
I think Lunacy means some type of (60-2?) triggerwheel for the crank...
Lunacy wrote:...disc for the crank mounted CAS....

Wil chuck up a pic of this stuff if anyones interested
I am interested!
Anyone tried to switch the balanceaxel-pulley for a 60-2?
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Ok will chuck a pic up in the morn. So from what im reading ive only got half the bits i need.
looks like i need the inlet camwheel and sensor that goes with it that attaches to the head?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

I have a CRANK mounted CAS complete with a cd moumting instructions that was set up for a WOLF that won't work with my E6X without a lot of stuffing around and it is 4 sale at $200.00 AUD + post If anyone wants it
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
dwlee
[P] Plates

Post by dwlee »

An after market crank mounted CAS for the 6-bolt block is available at
http://www.kigglyracing.com/parts/cranktrigger.htm

My understanding is that mounting the factory crank mounted CAS from the 7-bolt requires some modification to get it to fit correctly on a 6-bolt oil pump housing.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

dwlee wrote:An after market crank mounted CAS for the 6-bolt block is available at
http://www.kigglyracing.com/parts/cranktrigger.htm

My understanding is that mounting the factory crank mounted CAS from the 7-bolt requires some modification to get it to fit correctly on a 6-bolt oil pump housing.
This is NOT a CAS (Crank/Cam ANGLE SENSOR)... it's a "trigger" and will NOT give an angle of the crank.
dwlee
[P] Plates

Post by dwlee »

It is the same basic "trigger" as used in the RVR and it will give the SAME resolution as the factory unit i.e. 180 degrees of crank rotation (assuming you are only interested in either rising or falling edges, but not both). You could run wasted spark ignition and batched injection using just that "trigger". With a home trigger on the cam gear, just like the RVR, you can run direct ignition and sequential injection. The combination will produce pretty close to the same output signal as the 6-bolt 4g63 head with the factory CAS on the back of the inlet camshaft.

All CAS are trigger based and they only vary on the number of triggers per 720 degrees of crank rotation.

If you intended to say that the factory computer wont run with just that trigger you are correct as you need the item below :D .

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Swlee, have you got more information on this sensor kit? Your camgear looks very different to a standard one, is that part of the kit? Is that all that's needed to replace the CAS?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

that pic is of the rvr front mounted cam angle sensor. if you ran just the crank trigger you could run batch fire injection and waste spark ignition quite successfully..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
dwlee
[P] Plates

Post by dwlee »

As redzone pointed out it is factory from a 95-96 RVR turbo head. The same cam gear was also in some DSM heads in the US around the same time.